I'm a Windows systems administrator and power user and an enthusiastic user of Unix/Linux-based operating systems. I have hand edited make files and recompiled linux kernels manually. I know how to do administrative scripting and am a Microsoft products (SharePoint, if it matters) support professional/systems engineer in my job. I am certainly not the geekiest person I know but I'm in the top 5 percent.
I am switching to a Mac Mini (Lion Server, specs maxed toward storage) after decades of using Windows laptops/desktops and some Linux machines. I'm prepared for the lack of physical mobility, but I don't feel prepared for not being a power user. What methods/resources would you suggest I could use to get up to speed with being a Mac Mini and OSX Lion power user?
I have used Applescript to make shortcuts for my Dad to use on his older Mac Mini (like starting Safari with private browsing turned on, or starting Safari with the GMail URL, etc.)
I'm totally unafraid of experimenting, but I want to know where to start. I have interests in:
- Systems automation and interesting scripting/shell tweaks
- Desktop customization
- Having the server do household NAS services (music and pictures, primarily)
- Having the server share printing services and possibly scanning services with other devices on the network (we will be acquiring an AirPrint-enabled printer, so this is less of a priority)
- Using the server as an internet-browsing workstation
- Using the server as a gaming platform
- Experimental edge cases but not hacking
- Integrating as fully as possible with our household iOS devices (1 iPads & 1 iPod Touch)
I also have some bonus questions:
- If I run a Windows VM via Parallels, do I back up its image/filesystem via the host operating system (OSX Lion) or do I back it up within the VM (I already own Acronis TrueImage for that kind of backup)?
- If I should get to the point where I'm using a significant portion of the 1.5TB of storage available on the Mac Mini, what backup options should I plan to use for the data? Should I just get a bunch of 750 GB hard drive enclosures and keep using the same image-backup utilities I use now? (Acronis TrueImage for Windows, SuperDuper for OSX) Should I plan to get a Thunderbolt enabled Raid array from Pegasus
(Expensive!). Should I back up media/data locally but use cloud backups for personal/identity things? Should I do the reverse? What's the industry standard? What do you do?
As always, thanks very much in advance to anyone who takes the time to answers. Also, please no flaminess. I'm not going to revise my choice about platforms now.