Join 3,550 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


What was in this cheese?
July 22, 2011 5:26 PM   Subscribe

I just ate a little bit of cheese with a brown mold or similar growth on it. What was this?

I often eat mini Babybel cheese - the kind that come in a little wax package. Today I opened one, and didn't realize until after a bite and a half (most was spit out) that there was something brown on the bottom that I hadn't seen. I swallowed a small bite or two but spit out the rest. It was only on one side of the cheese, and it almost looked corroded. I washed my mouth thoroughly with mouthwash afterward. What could that have been? Should I be worried? I don't feel sick to my stomach yet and this was probably 15 minutes or so ago.
posted by graymouser to Health & Fitness (4 answers total)
 
Hint: People eat moldy cheese all the time.
posted by dunkadunc at 5:26 PM on July 22, 2011


I eat moldy cheese all the time. You'll be fine.
posted by nathancaswell at 5:27 PM on July 22, 2011


This thread at ChowHound might be a relief or worry you more, depending on whether you mean a reddish-brown by "corroded:"

Safe v unsafe cheese molds
posted by Nattie at 6:00 PM on July 22, 2011 [1 favorite]


It's okay. It'll cure any syphilis you have if anything.
posted by cmoj at 6:24 PM on July 22, 2011 [1 favorite]


« Older How do I remove tight screws f...   |  Could this healthy diet be mak... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.