Lens for your cell phone

Has anyone tried these Fish-eye and macro/wide-angle lenses for cell phones? Do they work as advertized ? Pros/Cons? My phone is a samsung google android. Thanks for the feedback.
posted by adamvasco to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I had one a while back. They're fun for a bit, but I didn't even notice when I lost it.
posted by hnnrs at 2:19 AM on July 21, 2011

Haven't tried them, but, for your 'pro' side -- you can get cheap versions very very cheaply (for example) (also)
posted by kmennie at 5:18 AM on July 21, 2011

They are fun little toys and they work pretty good all things considered. I find they are not quite as good if you don't mount direct to phone lens. I had a case so I mounted it to that and it changed the effect just a bit. Make a long necklace and put the on that. However, we lost ours and aren't pining for them.
posted by amanda at 7:33 AM on July 21, 2011

I got a set of the jelly lenses that kmennie links to two Christamses ago and had a lot of fun with them for a few months. The little covers didn't protect the sticky rings very well, and I lost them long before I lost the lenses. I like that the ones from PhotoJoJo attache with a magnetic ring, but I wonder how the magnetic ring attaches?
posted by rhapsodie at 10:40 AM on July 21, 2011

The magnetic rings don't work on iPhone 4. Instead, you're required to tape a metal ring onto the back of your phone in order to get the magnetic rings to work. That's rather useless if you use a case, or even if you slide the phone in and out of your pocket a lot. I ended up sending the lenses back.
posted by monospace at 1:26 PM on July 21, 2011

« Older Should I get a new camera? Alt...   |  How do I apply critically reas... Newer »