Great NPR pieces from the past?

Where can I find significant/classic/cherished NPR pieces from the 70's, 80's, and 90's? Archive.org has scarce selection and NPR.org doesn't seem to archive earlier the early 90's.
posted by Taft to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

"earlier than the early" ehh...
posted by Taft at 1:22 AM on July 21, 2011

I'll bet you heard that story about Noah Adams interviewing a 6 years old girl 20+ years ago and then he interviewed her again just a few days ago. That was a good story. If archives can be found I'll bet you will get the best answer by asking npr.org directly. Become a registered user on npr.org website if you aren't yet.
posted by nogero at 2:31 AM on July 21, 2011

I asked my senior producer (who's worked at NPR for 20 years) and he said:

They're in the Library of Congress. Somewhere. You can call NPR at 202-513-2000 and ask for the Broadcast Librarian, and then they can help you locate them, probably for a fee unless you're a public radio producer.

You'd have to know what you're looking for, though. A general request won't be of much use.

And as a producer who often works out of NPR West, I can probably hook you up if you can think of something specific.
posted by mykescipark at 8:10 AM on July 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

If you could elaborate on what you mean by "NPR pieces" you'd probably get better responses. Which programs are you looking for?
posted by Rash at 9:50 AM on July 21, 2011

« Older is there a site like kiva.org ...   |  Should I get a new camera? Alt... Newer »