Books by Jurors

I want to read a book written by a juror in a criminal trial. Please recommend one!

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding books written by criminal trial jurors. The ones I do find are not getting good reviews. I know that most jurors are not writers, so maybe I'm asking too much, but I'd like to read a well-written, engaging account of what it's like to be a juror and what a trial looks like from that perspective.

I don't need any more academic books about the trial process or about the role of the juror in the system; I've read a lot of those. I also don't want fiction, unless it's by someone who has actually been a criminal trial juror and is basing the book on that experience.

So, any recommendations?
posted by decathecting to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Trevor Grove's The Juryman's Tale is about the UK jury system, so may be of less interest to American readers, but it's extremely well written (the author is a professional journalist) and gives a gripping account of a very dramatic kidnapping trial.
posted by verstegan at 7:34 AM on July 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

This isn't a book, but the writer Madison Smartt Bell wrote an article about his experience on a criminal court jury. I think maybe it was linked on Metafilter?
posted by jayder at 7:55 AM on July 17, 2011

I'll be watching this thread, as I'm interested as well.

I was an alternate juror on a five-week murder trial two years ago, and I'd love to read someone else's take on the experience. If you have any questions, please memail me - I'll be happy to answer as best I can. I experienced everything my non-alternate fellow jurors did, except for deliberations (one regular juror got sick on the first day of deliberations, and I held my breath as the judge was announcing which alternate would take her place; I was crushed when I wasn't chosen), but I can relate what I know about that particular part from what my fellow jurors talked about after the verdict was rendered.
posted by rtha at 9:51 AM on July 17, 2011

Can't recommend any books, but I was the foreman on a jury about eight years ago for a criminal case in MA. Feel free to email me any questions - I'd be happy to answer anything you want to know.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 10:50 AM on July 17, 2011

Malcolm Knox - a senior editor at one of Australia's biggest papers, and a novelist in his own right - was selected to be on a criminal trial. He wrote about it, and juries in his book Secrets of the Jury Room.
posted by smoke at 4:47 PM on July 17, 2011

« Older I'm looking for a labor lawyer...   |  i have really significant prob... Newer »