Name of paper storage program?

There's a kind of 2D barcoding program that stores large amounts of compressed information on paper, like a QR code. What's it called?

I need to know what it's called. It's not Rainbow Storage, but it's kind of like that. If I recall correctly, it was monochrome and grid-based.

The article, as I remember it, said that it was specifically for archiving large quantities of information, and I think there was a freeware tool to use it linked on the page.
posted by This, of course, alludes to you to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

PaperBack?
posted by mittens at 12:18 PM on July 12, 2011

Books2Barcodes. (Metafilter post)
posted by Horselover Phattie at 12:25 PM on July 12, 2011

There are a lot of different 2D barcodes, where I found Twibright Optar, where Optar stands for OPTical ARchiver, which can even store recorded audio in a strictly visual format.
posted by filthy light thief at 12:37 PM on July 12, 2011 [2 favorites]

You can learn all about barcode symbologies here (and generate them). PDF 417 is an option that may be what you're thinking of. It's commonly used for the back of identification cards in the U.S.
posted by odinsdream at 1:07 PM on July 12, 2011

Xerox PARC has Dataglyphs.
posted by tommasz at 2:14 PM on July 12, 2011

How much data? Datamatrix will encode about 3K per patch, Pdf417 will encode a max of 1.8K per patch, but can be much less depending of how much error correction is in the patch.
posted by plinth at 5:45 PM on July 12, 2011

Thanks, light thief. That's what I remembered.

('Written language' would have been acceptable too, were I insufferable.)
posted by This, of course, alludes to you at 9:40 PM on July 12, 2011

« Older How can I prove to my marketin...   |  Where can I find a giant, deta... Newer »