I am trying to update some features on the website for the instrumentation facility where I work. The instrument availability
table is something I'm pretty clueless about. As far as I can tell, the script is written in Perl with a MySQL table that collects the logon-logoff information. This was written by some guy named Kyle six years ago, and even my predecessor isn't sure how it is pieced together. We can't even actually find the Perl script buried deep in the web server. So I'm kind of starting from scratch.
What I have:
1. Five (soon to be six) computers that get logged on and logged off multiple times per day. It is possible I may extend this to other machines that are used in the facility in the future, but for now I'm just focusing on the five that I manage. (Obviously there are more than 5 machines in the current table, and some of them are no longer in use, and some should read BROKEN but I don't know how to change the color.)
2. A logon-logoff script on each computer that calculates how much time the user is on the computer which we use for billing purposes (I can get more information on this script if it would be helpful to figure out a solution). This data is collected in a central program for billing purposes.
3. Computers on a variety of platforms. WinXP, a few flavors of RedHat, and some Solaris machines just for funsies. The Solaris machines are the only ones (of my machines) that are actually working with the script right now since the other machines were moved last fall and something in the database was borked when they were brought back online. (VXR300 and VXR400 are the only two of mine that work in the table at the moment. AV600 and DRX400 don't work properly and I have a new one to add.)
What I want:
1. Something similar to the current setup to this that tells users live usage information so they can know what machines are available. It could be fancier than this, or it can be just as simple.
1a. Something that is easily scalable for when we add new instrumentation.
2. Options for open-source or commercial software packages that would do the same thing that I wouldn't have to code.
3. If #2 is not an option, direction as to the best scripting language to use for this task and how to accomplish it. "Hiring a computer science student part-time" is an option we have if I can't figure it out ;)
Thanks in advance!