Hen Party Rejectee
July 3, 2011 8:08 PM Subscribe
I was invited to a wedding but not the hen party. I'm not hurt or angry, I'm just curious. And also slightly embarrassed and awkward...
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (29 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My friend, let's call her Anna, is getting married this summer. She has invited me to her wedding but not her hen party. Details are:
1) We're in our mid 20s.
2) She has invited about 15 women to the hen party.
3) We were part of the same five-people group when we were undergraduates, but our recent contact in the last year has now been limited to sporadic emails and an occasional meetup if we are in the same town. In other words, she was a "life-phase" friend - we had great times back then, but we have both moved on. Two of those people are in our group are guys and they have not been invited. The other girl has been invited, but she was closer to Anna than I was. And she was also part of the second group (see 4)
4) She has invited all the girls another group from uni. We were all in the same course, but I wasn't particularly close knit friends with that other group.
5) Transportation involves a small flight, but it is not a big issue (and she knows this).
6) I think the wedding will be about ~120 people or so, but I could be mistaken.
7) Would I invite her to my hen party? I think this is a different question, as I feel supremely uncomfortable about the thought of having a hen party just for me. I think it'll be just my very very closest girl friends, i.e. 3 people, max, if I even do have a hen party. So, no.
So, am feeling slightly awkward. What is the appropriate hen-party protocol? I know that sometimes people are invited to hen parties but not invited to weddings, but not the other way around.
Another question: How do I deflect questions of "how was the hen party" gently (so as to not embarrass her or I) as it seems that I was the only girl from her undergraduate years who wasn't invited... I can't even say something along the lines of, "Oh, I was busy," because I wasn't. The worse part is that photos will be up on facebook.
Anonymous because I'm feeling really awkward.