Any tips and advice on how to manage your e-book files and library, especially on calibre?
I have acquired a lot of e-books over the years. I have been reading them using my computer. Most of the files are in .PDF, .TXT and .RTF formats. Other reading materials are in .JPG and .PNG (for scanned stuff) and .CBR for comics. I bought a Kindle recently, and I plan to buy an iPad soon for work. So I plan on using these three devices regularly to read the e-books.
I am a bit obsessed on having an organized library -- this is why I switched from iTunes to MediaMonkey, so I can accommodate all the edits, metatags and whatnot that I want on my music files. It's been years but I am still not done there, but that's another story.
Anyway, my point is, I think calibre is like MediaMonkey, and I've just discovered it because of the Kindle. I read the manual, but I am at a loss on how to maximize its uses. How do you go about organizing your ebooks in calibre? It sure does a lot but for the moment I am overwhelmed with all the features, that I can't seem to wrap my head around what I'm supposed to do.
My initial thoughts are the following:
1. Since I am going to be using a computer, a Kindle and an iPad, I would limit the file formats to just the following: .PDF, .MOBI and .EPUB, with the exception of .CBR for comics (I use CDisplay to read them). So my plan is to convert everything that's not yet in this format.
1.1. Should all my files have these three formats each so I can view them in all devices? Would that bloat my library and memory?
2. What other programs can I use to edit the look of the ebook, i.e. book cover, page numbers et al. Some converted files look like shit, and I am thinking of fixing them.
3. As with my music files, I am used to grouping my *files* by genre or at least something similar. For example:
Magazines > Home > DIY > ReadyMade
Books > Fiction > Magical Realism > Gabriel Garcia Marquez
But then I read this
and I am really concerned. So does that mean that in calibre everything is fine and dandy, but outside my files are a mess? How did you deal with this?
4. How do you sort your books? I saw some people use Last Name, First Name - Title or First Name Last Name - Title. Is there a way to group by genre, then alphabetically?
5. I am looking at the Collections in Kindle as a way to group e-books by genres. Is this a smart or stupid thing to do? How do I edit the collections on calibre?
I guess I am looking for strategies on how to organize e-books, and if you can give a few tips on how to do this on calibre and sync it with my computer, kindle or ipad, that would be great, too.