Done with glasses. Donate or sell?

How and where to sell my (gently) used designer frames.

I'm about to have laser eye surgery at the end of the month, which hopefully means no more glasses. I've had a couple of people ask if they could buy my frames; selling them had never occurred to me.

But now that I think about it, I have three pairs of very expensive frames from Anne et Valentin, IC Berlin, and THEO. The A&V frames are discontinued and less than a year old.

Is there a market for used frames? And do I have to take the lenses out? I've heard you can't resell lenses because of the prescription. Any ideas on how much I can sell used frames for that were originally priced between $200 and $500?

Any opinions of whether it's better to donate? I'd usually do this, but I have a highly unusual prescription (-11.00 in the left eye; -5.75 in the right eye). And maybe kids in Africa don't want my weird art frames.

And please don't judge my expensive eyewear tastes. It's one of the only things I sink money into because they're on my face all the time.
posted by lunalaguna to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I wouldn't worry about the lenses. A buyer can take the glasses to have a new prescription filled. And people resell frames all the time.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 8:43 PM on June 17, 2011

eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji...
posted by Sys Rq at 8:47 PM on June 17, 2011

There is definitely a market for used frames on ebay. You do not have to take the lenses out. I think you would get the widest exposure on ebay and glasses are easy to ship. Maybe start bidding around $50 and see where it goes? Some recent Anne et V listings went for just over $100 but they were"floor models" and not constantly worn as yours were. I don't think it really matters that any particular style is discontinued as the eyewear lines turn over constantly and there are so many models out there.

[In case the A&V frames are the Virgin model in orange & cream please memail me.]
posted by tangaroo at 10:06 PM on June 17, 2011

eBay will be able to quickly show you how much the frames have sold for in the past. Take the lenses out or don't, I don't think it matters except in that it suggests authenticity (lots of fake designer items on eBay). Take really good close up pictures, to help show the condition and that they're real, and post the model number in the item's title.
posted by crabintheocean at 10:08 PM on June 17, 2011

Besides the model number you should provide measurements. Measurements. Heh.

I've been trolling the internet for Lindberg Air Titanium frames for some time now, but they haven't yet been available in my size. Datapoint: I value a used pair of right-sized Muscas at about a buck-fifty.
posted by L'oeuvre Child at 2:10 AM on June 18, 2011

ebay. I've had excellent success with selling my "gently used" high end frames in the past.

and YES, you DO have to take the lenses out.
posted by hal_c_on at 2:42 AM on June 18, 2011

Well I'm right and I'm wrong.

You can sell your glasses without taking the lenses out if you put them in the "collectible" category. They won't get much exposure at ALL, and they'll sell way low...if at all.

Or you can take the lenses out and then put them in the category:
Health & Beauty--->Vision Care--->Eyeglass Frames

THAT is where you will get the most exposure leading to the highest price.

Good luck with the surgery. Update the thread later telling us how it went.
posted by hal_c_on at 2:49 AM on June 18, 2011

Yes make sure you list the measurements, they are usually printed on the interior of the temple pieces. If you're not sure what is frame size and what is random information, Google the frames and you should be able to see what sizes are listed and figure it out from there.
posted by radioamy at 8:47 AM on June 18, 2011

« Older How can I get this PC to outpu...   |  A woman in the friend zone. Wh... Newer »