Salt and Cats - Is Koshered Chicken Making My Cat Sick?

Been giving my cat Kashered chicken - raw or cooked for a while now. Even though the salt is washed out thoroughly no doubt something is left and that doesn't sound like something a cat would be needing in their body. Now she's sick with a yet undiagnosed disease. Thoughts are creeping in that maybe the salt in the kashered chicken caused it.

Some numbers from her latest blood test

BUN 23 16 33
CREA 1.6 .8 2.4
TP 8 5.7 8.9
ALB 2.9 2.3 3.9
GLOB 5.1 2.8 5.1
ALB/GLOB 0.6 0 0
ALT 56 12 130
ALKP 31 14 111
GLU 125 77 153
NA 163 150 165
K 3.5 3.5 5.8
Na/K 47 32 41
Cl 131 112 129
Osmol 325 100 400

Can someone tell me if they see any thing that could be related to too much salt?

She's been to many vets. The last visit revealed that she had Spondilitis through an x-ray and physical exam. Also it was found through a T4 test that her thyroid levels are low.

She has been gaining weight, is very hungry very frequently, is sleeping much more and her face has changed into a more pinched look.

I'm tapped out financially right now, spending my last money on the most recent vet 2 days ago. I need any and all information, leads and help this good community can offer. Thank you!
posted by watercarrier to Pets & Animals (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

We, the internet cannot really help you. Ask for a referral to an internal medicine specialist and take out care credit if you can't afford to pay for it. If you can't/won't take out care credit, ask for a loan from relatives/friends.
posted by TheBones at 1:17 PM on June 16, 2011

I would suggest switching to regular cat food and seeing if this has any effect.
posted by Jon_Evil at 1:18 PM on June 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

Has a cushing's test been run.
posted by TheBones at 1:20 PM on June 16, 2011

While I admire your cat's tenacious commitment to her religious principles, generally speaking no added salt is acceptable in a feline's diet and consumption of anything with even small amounts of added sodium will result in sickness.
posted by Paquda at 1:23 PM on June 16, 2011 [15 favorites]

No - not tested for Cushing's. I think her blood panel didn't indicate anything that might lead the vet to suspect this.
posted by watercarrier at 1:24 PM on June 16, 2011

Agreed, please stop feeding your cat human food. If you are averse to the cat food you find at the grocery store, ask your vet for a recommendation.
posted by TheBones at 1:25 PM on June 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

How do I detox her from the sodium??
posted by watercarrier at 1:25 PM on June 16, 2011

She eats a varied diet. Some canned, some fresh meat, some grain free kibble.
posted by watercarrier at 1:26 PM on June 16, 2011

Like a lot of (human) medical questions, there is only so much the internet can do for your cat. Throw yourself on the mercy of your vet. And stop feeding her the chicken.
posted by rtha at 1:27 PM on June 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

The symptoms you list (weight gain, eating and sleeping too much) are consistent with low thyroid levels. Spondylitis can also contribute to this, as it makes movement painful. I'd suggest concentrating on treating these conditions according to your vet's recommendation, and see if she improves.

I also agree with dropping the human food from her diet.
posted by vorfeed at 1:35 PM on June 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

Unless you're giving her small bits of chicken when you are preparing or eating it for yourself, this is a bad idea. Cats require, among other things, food with added taurine, and human food has no added taurine. If too much of her diet is not cat food, she can get sick. Switch to all cat food.
posted by jeather at 1:50 PM on June 16, 2011 [2 favorites]

How do I detox her from the sodium??

Just switch to normal cat food, your cat's electrolytes will adjust by themselves within a few days.
posted by atrazine at 2:00 PM on June 16, 2011

How do I detox her from the sodium??

It sounds like you are very focused on sodium in chicken being the problem, when that might not have anything to do with any of this. Ask your vet for specific food recommendations (did you mention the kashered chicken to your vet?), and at any rate, yes, stop regularly giving her people food. Certainly do not attempt any sort of "sodium detox" on your cat, or any other kind of non-standard cat dietary manipulation without checking with the vets your cat has seen.
posted by wondermouse at 2:08 PM on June 16, 2011 [7 favorites]

« Older I flaked out on a friend's new...   |  At which shops in San Francisc... Newer »