What's the best Android tablet for showing color photos and video to a group standing outside?
June 14, 2011 8:17 PM Subscribe
Help me find the best Android tablet option for illustrating an urban walking tour.
I've read the previous tablet questions, but since my need is for very atypical usage, am still in the dark. I'm hoping that you experienced tablet users reading this question will know exactly the make and model that will suit this use.
My husband and I give bus tours of Los Angeles, and while we're on the bus we have access to a full A/V set-up that allows us to show slides and play video on the onboard video monitors. We find this essential for contextualizing a city that has changed enormously over the past century. However, once we leave the bus to explore buildings and streets we're left without a way of sharing this illustrational material. We'd like to plug this off-bus gap.
Here's what we want in a tablet, with the essential features listed first, then optional/desired ones:
• Runs the Android OS.
• Large screen with good color resolution in daylight: The tablet will need to be easily viewed by a group of people standing around us out of doors, ideally in the shade, but not always.
• The ability to store a slide show presentation and other media on the tablet, since we can't count on picking up a wireless connection, and would rather not invest in a data-plan for this device. A choice of good apps for presenting slideshows and film clips (I guess this is more an Operating System question--what apps does the Android tablet support that can display PDFs and show QuickTime files?)
• A method for easily and quickly moving content from a laptop to the tablet (mount the tablet as a volume in an OS X finder window, connect via bluetooth, etc.)
• Ideally costs under $250.
• Good battery life (desired, not essential).
• Not terribly heavy, and fits in a secure carrying case (desired, not essential).
• Decent sound quality without external speakers (desired, not essential): Being able to show short film clips with sound would be a plus, but we could probably manage with poor sound.
So that's what we're looking for. Does the tablet we want exist yet?