Give me the biggest, most portable, and cheapest thing you have
June 13, 2011 1:52 PM Subscribe
What would work as a portable device for my dad with aging eyesight to check email and browse the web?
posted by pinksoftsoap to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Last year, my sister and I got our dad a laptop with an enormous screen so that he could do his internet browsing in the living room (or wherever) but not have to strain his eyes. This year, my mom told us that he discovered his friend has a netbook - simple and portable - and was intrigued enough that my mom suggested we get him one for Father's Day.
I have reservations about this because -
1) Aren't netbooks on the decline? Are they even worth buying over a regular small-sized laptop?
2) One of the netbooks' features that draw the loudest complaints is how small everything is. Would this null the benefit of its portability?
3) What else can I get him that would work better? He just wants to browse the internet and check email. Budget: under $250, which means iPad is out.
4) My sister and brother-in-law are suggesting a Nook, which they say is pretty much like an android tablet and works well for browsing the web. I have no experience with the Nook besides the fact that it is an e-reader. Wouldn't there be disadvantages with using it primarily for internet browsing? (My dad does not really read.)
5) Should I just give in and get him the netbook to play around with, even if it's not going to be the most fantastic long-term investment?
Thank you in advance!