like a bloody clown car
June 10, 2011 4:40 AM Subscribe
I'd like to check a bicycle as luggage with Southwest. Could anyone advise me how to find a suitable box and then pack the bicycle in compactly enough?
posted by d. z. wang to sports, hobbies, & recreation (12 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
Southwest says it will take the bike free if the box is under 62 inches length+width+height, and for $50 if the box is under 80 inches total.
Following some guides on the internet, I've
- put the seat and seat post down in the main triangle
- laid the wheels to either side of the frame
- lifted the quill stem out of the head tube and taped the handlebars to the top tube
- turned the fork around toward the back of the bike
- twisted my derailleur forward
- removed my chainrings, cranks, kickstand, rack, and fenders.
Despite all this, I can hardly even make the 80 inch cutoff. In fact, my frame and fork alone are 40x26x7 => 73 inches. Has anyone ever gotten down to 62 inches?
Alternatively, considering that my flight is Monday morning, what are my options for shipping the bike (Chicago to New Jersey) via FedEx or some other parcel post, without getting it wrecked in the process?