Commercial spirit, but not the 96 proof kind.

Recommendations of commercials who capture a country's spirit? For example for Norway: Drygolin and Kvikk Lunsj.

After a recent tour in the woods I started to wonder about commercials which somehow capture a country's essence. The examples above capture Norwegian's taciturnity and love for nature, respectively. Any other examples out there?
posted by Eltulipan to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I am Canadian.
posted by holgate at 10:29 AM on June 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

I've always thought that this captured something important 9/11 Tribute / Budweiser (by Zack Snyder)
posted by tomswift at 10:42 AM on June 5, 2011

India: Nike cricket commercial
posted by prenominal at 11:06 AM on June 5, 2011

For Great Britain, I nominate the famous (even though it was only shown 10 times according to Wikipedia) 1997 TV ad for blackcurrant flavour Tango (a canned soft drink): "St. George"
posted by Bwithh at 1:19 PM on June 5, 2011

Nomitation for USA: Real Men of Genius from Budweiser and the Old Spice commercials

And yeah, Kvikk Lunsj is pretty apt, both the product and the commercial
posted by Busoni at 1:28 PM on June 5, 2011

For Ireland I couldn't choose just one so I nominate a selection (from here).

If you grew up in the 70's or 80's in Ireland this ad resonated. HARP: And the Way She Might Look At You.

Another couple of oldies that I had all but forgotten, but that certainly capture something very Irish. Bord Na Mona & Kerrygold.

The last few are not so obviously Irish but do capture our sense of humor perfectly. Guinness: Anticipation & Amstel: The Flood, Troy & The New World.
posted by Long Way To Go at 2:19 PM on June 5, 2011

Correction to my earlier post: the title of the ad suggests *English* not British national spirit
posted by Bwithh at 2:49 PM on June 5, 2011

For Australia, there's Qantas' iconic I Still Call Australia Home series.
posted by lovedbymarylane at 4:35 AM on June 6, 2011

« Older Bed bugs after two and a half ...   |  I' m recovering from major sur... Newer »