How Do I Make The Flavours Mingle In My Vegan Chili?
June 5, 2011 7:41 AM Subscribe
Vegan Chili Filter: Help me to make my chili taste like more than boiled beans with an overlay of spices!
I've been trying to make a good vegan chili for a long time now, and will certainly try some of the great general suggestions I see here
. However, I don't think they'll help my basic problem, which is that every recipe I try seems to taste like boiled beans with spices/flavourings added--even after I let it sit overnight
, which is of course the magic technique for soups and some other dishes.
posted by purplesludge to Food & Drink (54 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite
Here's what I do already:
- I always saute the onions in advance
- I don't use canned beans but always fresh ones which I pre-soak and boil (always kidney beans, sometimes with chickpeas added)
- I've tried using various combinations of herbs and spices (e.g. always chili powder of course, but also cumin, oregano, and various others)
- I've even tried doubling the amount of spices
- I cook it and let it sit overnight
No matter what I do, it's the same result: boiled beans with an aftertaste of the flavourings.
What on earth am I doing wrong? How can I get that perfectly-mingled flavour?
Thanks so much in advance for your help!