What do I need to go from Digital Audio Out port on TV to 1/8" stereo headphones?

How do I connect stereo headphones (1/8" male end) to a Toshiba 24SLV411U HDTV/DVD Combo?

The only audio out option seems to be the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT port. There are connections to RCA, coaxial, HDMI, etc. - but they are all input, not output. (This is where I realize that I am getting old, and that no devices have analog outputs anymore.)
I'm guessing I need a converter box. Any suggestions on the SIMPLEST, SMALLEST converter that I can get on very short notice at a Best Buy or Radio Shack?
posted by D.Billy to Technology (4 answers total)

Maybe RCA Digital Audio Cable Adapter combined with 3.5mm Audio Jack (Female) to RCA Audio Converter?
posted by Kirth Gerson at 8:47 AM on June 1, 2011

No short-notice availability for that source, though.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 8:48 AM on June 1, 2011

Unfortunately, if it really only has a digital audio out, I think you're going to need a DAC (digital analog converter) as well as possibly some manner of headphone amp (or I suppose a standard receiver could do this). What Kirth linked to is for HDMI output. A DAC you might want would be something like this. And then you could try an RCA to jack adapter, but I suspect that without an amp of some sort the audio may come out crummy in this setup. A single item solution to this can then become surprisingly expensive as a lot of the stuff on the market intended to do what you want is geared towards audiophiles.

Can't speak to RadioShack, but Best Buy is a deadend for what you're looking for. Don't waste your time there.

I hope I'm wrong but I think you're going to have trouble doing this.
posted by drpynchon at 8:57 AM on June 1, 2011

Maybe something like this? It says it even includes the amplifier for headphones.
posted by exphysicist345 at 7:23 PM on June 1, 2011

« Older I have one of the first Androi...   |  How can I remove some fields a... Newer »