Best way to prepare a rooted cellphone for its new owner?

I have one of the first Android cellphones that I recently rooted using SuperOneClick so that I could install Wireless Tether. I did not install a new ROM. I now want to sell this phone and I'm wondering, if I perform a factory reset, will that "unroot" it also? I'd like to advertise the phone as being rooted and having Wireless Tether on it, but I also need to remove all the personal info stored on it. What is the best way to keep it rooted but also wipe out all my stored passwords, pictures, etc. ? If it matters, it's a Tmobile MyTouch 3G. Thanks in advance!
posted by FormerMermaid to Technology (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Wipe it and install the latest Cyanogenmod, which is supported on your phone. Having Gingerbread 2.3 preinstalled is a good selling point.
posted by Horselover Phattie at 8:07 AM on June 1, 2011

Wipe it and use SuperOneClick and Wireless Tether again after all personal info is gone.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 8:10 AM on June 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Looks like there is an instructional video on unrooting your MyTouch -- looks like a relatively simple process, too!
posted by Jinkeez at 8:34 AM on June 1, 2011

...By which I mean, what if you unrooted it, did a factory restore/wipe, and then rooted it again?
posted by Jinkeez at 8:35 AM on June 1, 2011

You don't need to unroot it if you're doing a factory reset. I think it does depend on how you do it, though--are you planning on reflashing back to stock using an update.zip, or does the MyTouch have some kind of internal ROM backup?
posted by nasreddin at 9:51 AM on June 1, 2011

In any case, make sure you let it "wipe data" (it may ask) when you reflash.
posted by nasreddin at 9:53 AM on June 1, 2011

« Older Where is there a good selectio...   |  How do I connect stereo headph... Newer »