So I have switched to Android and have some questions...
I bought a used HTC Desire Z. It's unlocked and rooted (Clockwork Mod).
1. I don't understand much the "runs 2.2 (froyo)" and such. I realize these are OS version numbers but aren't currently-avail phones capable of updating to whatever version comes out next? For instance, some phones say they're running 2.3. Why don't the people running 2.2 just update? If there is a version at which your phone "caps out", how do you know what version that is? Is it whatever it ships with?
2. I find I don't really use the "external" keyboard. Someone's offered to trade me for a Desire HD, which I think is pretty much the same but without the external keyboard. Any negatives to trading?
3. I installed Doggcatcher after it was recommended as a solution in another thread. I want to listen to this podcast
. Though the podcast shows up in Doggcatcher, it doesn't let me play it. What gives? I have the podcasts in iTunes... is there a way to send the files to the phone so Doggcatcher can see them since Doggcatcher doesn't seem to be able to play them the way that it plays every other podcast? Is the podcaster doing something wrong that I can email him about that's making Android not be able to see his files?
4. I installed GO Launcher and it is fantastic. I was surprised no one who recommended Android apps to me had mentioned it. What apps do you find amazingly useful?
5. The apps on the front pages of places like Appbrain and Market seem to rarely change. Is there a site/blog with more frequently changing info about apps/phones/android news?
6. I have multiple audio apps for the different app processes (Doggcatcher for podcasts, audible for audible files, winamp for mp3s...). It's a pain in the ass to constantly have to tell the headphones which app I'm using. Is there an app/mod for the headphones that will just tell it to start/stop whatever audio app is currently/most recently running?
QUESTIONS ABOUT ROOTING
I assume rooted is similar to jailbroken and, really, I have no use for that function unless it's tied to the unlocked-ness. I am by no means a hacker and really have no time to tinker.
I'd like to know if it's possible to unroot it and return it to its normal self without relocking it. Further, if it is possible, how do I do it? The only instructions I can find are about rooting, not unrooting.
What will this action do? For the casual user, does rooting have any benefit?
My complaint with the rooting is that Android (or HTC) is telling me that updates are available and the Clockwork Mod is not allowing me to install them (even though I follow Clockword Mods instructions).
Are the updates I'm being told about 2.3 or just some minor patch?
If the phone cannot be unrooted without it relocking, is is possible to actually install the updates?