over chair computer harness

I'd like to make an aluminum frame over my zero gravity chair to support my computer monitor and rig up something that would make the mouse easy to use in a reclining position. Can anyone tell me what the name of the aluminum frame joints are, and where would would I find the aluminum tubes and joints?

Or, if you know of something like this that is already made, I'd like to find it. I want to take some of the pressure off my back and legs as I work on the computer at home....
thanks in advance,

ConnieL
posted by ConnieL to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

The way you do this will depend a lot on your budget and level of craftiness. Can you give a little guidance on those fronts so we can get an idea about what options might be reasonable for you?
posted by milqman at 7:20 PM on May 27, 2011

I spend large chunks of my day semi-reclined in my zero gravity chair, comfortably using my computer at a swing-away table sort of like this. I have the monitor, keyboard and mouse on the table, and it works very well. I think this Air Desk would be even better, though.
posted by Corvid at 7:34 PM on May 27, 2011

"Recliner workstation" might be a good keyword to start. Generally, you have three criteria: cheap, adjustable, or sturdy. Pick two.

Some ideas: Sturdy and adjustable (but expensive!), cheap and sturdy (not adjustable)... cheap, adjustable and flimsy I can't seem to find.

Check out these monitor arms, made for the medical industry; you can get them with pole mounts, but you'd still have to figure out how to secure the pole to the floor or a large leg structure.
posted by supercres at 7:52 PM on May 27, 2011

What about using the sort of wireless mouse people use for presentations?
posted by theora55 at 8:04 PM on May 27, 2011

I can't help with the frame construction, but securing a trackpad to it would surely have to be the easiest solution for mousing.
posted by TruncatedTiller at 6:11 AM on May 28, 2011

AWESOME ideas, everyone! I think the cheap and sturdy option is what I'm looking for! I really appreciate the wonderful feedback!
Woohoo! no more back pain while computing!
posted by ConnieL at 11:12 AM on June 1, 2011

« Older My girlfriend recently got a j...   |  Examples of impressive project... Newer »