Join 3,439 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Looking for Innovative US Right-Wing Youth Civics and Activist groups
May 26, 2011 4:54 PM   Subscribe

Looking for specific suggestions of particularly innovative successful/popular US national-level grassroots right-wing civics activist groups (can be conservative, libertarian, religious, non-religious etc. etc; but not extremist) for an academic research project. We are especially interested in youth-focussed/web & new media-savvy/participatory culture savvy groups. Any research report (academic or non-academic) recommendations are most welcome too.

dear Metafilter Hive Mind, thanks very much for any help you can give me with this question.
I'm doing research into the US right-wing activist scene this summer and would appreciate any leads for interesting specific ("The Tea Party movement" as a suggestion is too general. "This specific Tea Party Patriot organization that is well-known to be successful with their YouTube strategy nationally" is more what we would like) right-wing groups / websites and/or research about them.

This is for an academic research project that looks at (non-extremist (i.e. non-violent), *popular/successful/national-level*) activist groups across the US political spectrum and is about the current state of grassroots civics activist groups (especially engaged primarily with youth, new media and participatory culture in interesting new ways) in the US in general (but US groups that focus on international issues are OK too). The research project does not have a left or right or centrist ideological agenda itself. We are primarily interested in the innovation in the types of youth grassroots activist practices and civics organizations out there regardless of their ideological preferences or specific causes.

Thanks again for any leads!
(and sorry for the rambling description - I've just had too much coffee :/ )
posted by zresearch to Law & Government (6 answers total)

The first thing I thought of: Back in 2008 Ron Paul had a huge following among 20-something internet people -- they crowdsourced a blimp and put together some pretty elaborate ads, among other things. As I recall the official Ron Paul campaign was pretty much left scratching their heads.
posted by theodolite at 5:05 PM on May 26, 2011

Generation Joshua
posted by COD at 6:31 PM on May 26, 2011

Well, Americans for Prosperity is pretty much the gold standard for this. With the caveat that thy aren't *actually* grassroots, in that they created the conditions whereby people wanted to act in a grassroots manner.

And theodolite's mention of the 2008 Ron Paul thing is exactly what you are looking for, I think.
posted by gjc at 6:10 AM on May 27, 2011

What gjc says about what people call "grassroots" goes for most if not all of the national-level organizations, especially those claiming to be part of the various branches of the Tea Party. You don't have to dig very deep in research (we're talking "a couple seconds on Google, Wikipedia, or recent newspapers/news aggregators" deep) into the funding and/or leadership to find that they're usually affiliated with high-level Republican organizations or officials of former Republican Presidential administrations.
posted by zombieflanders at 6:23 AM on May 27, 2011 [1 favorite]

After Ron Paul's 2008 campaign, the Young Americans for Liberty was formed which seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for.
posted by BenS at 8:12 AM on May 27, 2011

Thanks everyone! re: zombieflanders' point, this is an interesting issue we are talking about... we are looking into different ideas about what "grassroots" means across the spectrum...
posted by zresearch at 9:54 AM on May 28, 2011

« Older Weddings: can we invite some o...   |  PhiladelphiaFilter: Tell me ab... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.