How can I make my honeymoon in New England run smoothly?
May 24, 2011 6:14 AM Subscribe
My fiancée and I are hoping to spend a fortnight in New England for our honeymoon in October.
I'd love your advice on how to make our honeymoon run smoothly!
posted by chrispy108 to travel & transportation (37 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
Having recently moved and changed jobs, whilst planing the wedding, we've kind of forgotten to arrange our honeymoon!
We've had some ideas, but I've got a few questions that I'm struggling to find answers to elsewhere.
Our rough plan is to fly into and out of Logan in Boston, spend the first few nights in a nice hotel nearby (Advice would be great here!), and then tour around a bit in-between.
1) What will the weather be like? We live in England, so are used to cold and rain, but not sure we want to spend our whole honeymoon sliding along a snow-covered road, is driving likely to be a problem? I'm a confident driver, and I've driven in Florida, but I've not got much experience of driving in "winter" weather, just a few snowy days here.
2) We both like museums, nice villages, lazy lunches and aren't too concerned about nightlife (although an evening drink in a nice pub/bar never gets turned down!). We're also a fan of theme parks. Are these kind of things going to be open? I know if you went to English seaside resorts in October you wouldn't find much open.
3) I'd love to get out and explore a bit, but equally, I don't want our holiday to become 12 hours a day in the car. What is a sensible itinerary to see lots, but without racing around?
I'm overwhelmed by the amount of recommendations on Google, and some of them to me look a bit packed. After using Google Maps to plan some long-distance routes around Europe, I'm also a bit sceptical of their times and wouldn't want to use just that to make my decisions.
4) Is it possible to get into/out of Canada? We'd love to see Montreal, but I don't know how the border "works" with an English couple on tourist visa? Is it a sensible drive?
5) I'd love to checkout an NHL game if possible, when is the schedule announced and how easy is it to get tickets for the Bruins? I know someone on holiday in England would really struggle to get tickets for most Premier League Football games.
6) Are there any MeFi meetups planned?!
Thanks in advance!