Join 3,501 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Where was this photo of a castle on a cliff taken?
May 23, 2011 10:50 AM   Subscribe

Tumblr attributions just lead me down a rabbit hole. Does anyone know where this photo was taken?
posted by timoni to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Birds Nest in Bhutan. Let me find more info....
posted by HeyAllie at 10:52 AM on May 23, 2011

Nope, never mind. It looks a bit different and actually is called Tiger's Nest.
posted by HeyAllie at 10:53 AM on May 23, 2011

That is the Simonopetra monastery on Mount Athos.
posted by jedicus at 10:58 AM on May 23, 2011

TinEye says the photo is from here, a Nat Geo site with this description:

"Far away from the worries of the rest of humanity, the Simonopetra Monastery towers high above the Aegean Sea on a small peninsula of northeastern Greece. Founded in the mid-14th century, it stands like a fortress with 19 other Eastern Orthodox monasteries and a host of small compounds in a religious community named after snowcapped Mount Athos, background."

—From "The Byzantine Empire: Rome of the East," December 1983, National Geographic magazine
posted by GuyZero at 11:00 AM on May 23, 2011

It's Mount Athos, in Greece. Accordingto TinEye, anyway.
posted by DangerIsMyMiddleName at 11:00 AM on May 23, 2011

ooh, too slow. Yeah, TinEye is the daddy for these questions.
posted by DangerIsMyMiddleName at 11:00 AM on May 23, 2011

60 minutes did a great piece on the Mt. Athos monasteries a month or so ago. [Video 1][Video 2]
posted by cashman at 11:42 AM on May 23, 2011 [2 favorites]

Unfortunately, you'll have to content yourself with pictures — women are not allowed to visit Mount Athos. (And it's pretty dicey for men unless they're Eastern Orthodox or scholars.)
posted by Johnny Assay at 12:09 PM on May 23, 2011

The monasteries of Meteora, also in Northern Greece, look very similar and are much easier to tour.
posted by smackfu at 12:23 PM on May 23, 2011

« Older Mr. Anonnymoose and I need you...   |  Turning to a sleep center/clin... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.