Help me plan my road trip from St. Louis to Los Angeles
May 20, 2011 1:49 PM Subscribe
Help me plan my road trip from St. Louis to Los Angeles, likely with a short stop at the Grand Canyon
posted by lewedswiver to travel & transportation around Los Angeles, CA (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
In about a month, I'm picking up and moving to LA. No job or long-term housing out there -- but I'm young! follow my dreams! go west, young man! etc. So let's worry about practicalities only when I get there.
In the mean time, I want to plan my trip. I've never driven across the country before. Never visited the Grand Canyon. (Unless someone can make a case for taking 70 through Denver, I plan to take 40/44 through Oklahoma/NM/AZ.) I hope to find somewhere to stay each night on couchsurfing.org, though if nothing works out I guess I'll find a motel. Hiking all the way down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon seems out of the question, so I guess I'm looking for a few-hour day hike along the rim.
1) How many miles should I drive each day? (What time should I leave in the mornings? What time should I tuck in for the night?)
2) In what cities should I stay overnight?
3) What hike at the Grand Canyon should I do -- that would maximize grandeur and natural beauty, while perhaps not derailing the trip too much?
4) Never having driven anywhere longer than 45 minutes or so at a time, is there anything I need to know or prepare for about a trip like this?
5) Anything else I should look out for along the way?
(Alternative question number 6 -- is there a reason I should think about going the more northern route through Colorado?)