How do I tell my sister she rambles on and on and on.......?
May 18, 2011 6:58 PM Subscribe
How do I tell my sister she rambles on and on and on and on constantly, in a kind way and effective way? Help!!
posted by *phoenix* to human relations (27 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
Help! My sister, ever since I have known her (we are in our mid-twenties) has a habit of making a conversation incredibly one-sided and will ramble on and on and on and on and on non-stop for thirty mins or even an hour if I let her!!! These one-sided conversations will be all of her thoughts or beliefs on a subject and it is incredibly hard to jump in to re-direct the conversation. I can seriously put the phone down, and walk away for a few minutes and she will have NO IDEA that I have left for a period of time.
This is problematic for a few reasons:
1) I hate to say it, but I get annoyed. If this were not my sister I probably would not be able to stand to talk to her often.
2) It is difficult to tell her that I need to get off the phone or leave because I have to go do errands or to work, etc.
3) I swear there is no pause in the conversation, she will just keep going and going. I don't even have to say things like "uh huh" or "okay" to keep her going. Seriously.
4) She gets hurt easily so it's hard for me how to reflect back to her that this is annoying or problematic.
5) I really think this impacts her other relationships, in groups you can literally see people roll their eyes when she starts on a topic to ramble on about.
She tends to really respect my opinions so I think she would listen to me, but I want to say it in the kindest, most effective way