How can I register my car in DC?
May 18, 2011 5:16 PM Subscribe
DC/RI DMV Filter:
My car is registered in Rhode Island, and the registration and title are in my dad's name. I have been driving my car for years in RI and even gave my dad some money for it a few years ago. How do I register my car in DC?
posted by catquas to travel & transportation (6 answers total)
I've read this
- very helpful but I still have more questions:
1. I thought I could use the gift from parent to child excise tax exemption (PDF
) but the gift exemption form can seemingly only be used "if the vehicle currently has a DC title" (PDF
). Can I still use this exemption somehow? If not how can I get the title in my name without having to pay?
2. If the best way to do this is to transfer the title from a RI title in my dad's name to a RI title in my name (and then get that mailed to me in DC) what is the best way to do the transfer? (Ex. gift or $1 sale? Other?)
3. I'm guessing I can't get this done before I lose my parking space on June 1st. I need to register to get street parking - I'll have to park my car with friends 50 miles into Virginia in the mean time. Any ideas for other places to park which are metro accessible?
4. Can I get my car inspected now and then go to the DMV to register once the title comes through? What forms do I need to have for inspection?