How can I keep iphoto from cutting off the margins of photos when they print?

I have to print very detailed photos for my job. At times, the photos taken have information near the margin of the photo. When I import photos into iphoto and print them--whether or not I use preview--the margins are cut off. Is there a setting I can change to make sure that the entire photo is printed? This is driving me crazy. Thanks.
posted by SpicyMustard to Technology (7 answers total)

Basic margins setting in the properties dialog?
posted by Freedomboy at 3:43 PM on May 18, 2011

Are they getting cut off evenly all the way around?

If not, are you printing them in their native aspect ratio? Your camera takes either 4x3 (most P&S) or 3x2 (most dSLR); if you try to print a 4x3 as a 6x4, there's going to be some necessary cropping going on.
posted by supercres at 4:04 PM on May 18, 2011

Is there a setting to print them in their native aspect ratio? Is my solution to change a setting on the camera?
posted by SpicyMustard at 4:08 PM on May 18, 2011

Well, what size are the photos when you print them, in inches? What's the size of the file, in pixels? If the ratio between height and width doesn't match, that's your problem.

For some reason my copy of iPhoto isn't letting me open the print dialog box, so I can't tell you how to fix it if that's the culprit. Is there somewhere where you select the print size, or is it just a "fit to page" or something like that?
posted by supercres at 4:23 PM on May 18, 2011

do you need to include iPhoto in your workflow? Can you just print the image files directly from Preview? Pretty sure this is iPhoto trying to print your photos at standard "photo" proportions/dimensions.
posted by misterbrandt at 4:35 PM on May 18, 2011

i would guess your printer driver might be the culprit...almost all of them refuse to print to the edge of the page...try tweaking a few settings...under 'page setup' make sure your printer is selected (as oppsed to 'any printer') and on the 'print' menu try 'fit to page'...or not :/ printer drivers tend to suck in general...remember, it's not in the manufacturers best interest for you to NOT waste ink and paper :(
posted by sexyrobot at 12:25 AM on May 19, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will play around today and see how it goes. I am printing on 8.5 x 11" paper (full sheets).
posted by SpicyMustard at 8:27 AM on May 19, 2011

« Older How do I project monthly reven...   |  I'm looking for examples of am... Newer »