PVA Primer & Patching

Can I apply more joint compound over PVA primer?

I'm finishing drywall on a 16" vaulted ceiling with clerestory windows. I know for a fact that the drywall is not very flat or smooth, and have taken due care with feathering out the compound, but it's to the point where I need to start priming it in order to see where the deficiencies are.

I know that PVA primer is 'special' because it soaks into the joint compound to a greater or lesser extent, dries quickly and hardens the compound, and gives a decent surface for you to apply a thicker 'hide' primer to even out the differences in texture between paper and sanded compound before your finish coat.

However, it's likely that once the PVA primer is up, I'm going to see some shadows and lines that I didn't see before, and I'm going to want to put some more compound up there to fill those in. Can I place fresh compound over the PVA, or do I need to prime and sand it before I can apply fresh compound so that the fresh compound bonds well to the surface and doesn't crack later?
posted by SpecialK to Home & Garden (3 answers total)

I am not a contractor but I think it should be fine:

People routinely fix holes and gouges in (already painted) walls by just filling it in with mud, sanding, and painting over the lot. If it works atop a regular finish then it should work on primer right?

Though in my (albeit limited) experience drywalling my parents house, any imperfections that are not obvious before painting tend to be even less visible after. You should not have to patch afterwards at all.
posted by selenized at 11:08 AM on May 14, 2011

Cannot answer about the PVA specifically, but I do agree that the first coat of paint does show up imperfections that were missed before. I used to mud- in over primer all the time for this very reason.
posted by Hobgoblin at 11:16 AM on May 14, 2011

The reason I ask is because I haven't used the PVA stuff before, and I don't know what it's adhesive properties are. It was highly recommended to fix some problems I had with previous new drywall applications though, where the paper and compound came out showing different textures even after the finish coat.
posted by SpecialK at 11:36 AM on May 14, 2011

« Older Had a brief, but harsh exchang...   |  Help Soldering Water Pipe - AG... Newer »