A Day in the Life of the Underappreciated Dandelion

Help me find this quote about dandelions...

Google led me down a K-hole of dandelion wine recipes, but what I'm looking for is a quote that I half-remember, possibly from John Muir??

"...who decided that a dandelion is just a weed..." is the part that I remember, but I know it was longer.

TIA to anyone who searches. (And FYI, I have a vase full of dandelions currently making my room feel very cheerful :)
posted by polly_dactyl to Science & Nature (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Robert Fulghum wrote about how he considers dandelions to be flowers in his book All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. He didn't say exactly what you quoted, but his gist was the same. The extract, or a good part of it, is here.
posted by orange swan at 7:52 AM on May 11, 2011

Here's Fulghum's quote about dandelions.
posted by essexjan at 9:02 AM on May 11, 2011

I remember one that went: "If a dandelion were hard to grow, it would be most welcome in any yard." A google search says that comes from Andrew V. Mason.
posted by aniola at 10:22 AM on May 11, 2011

None of these are it, but I do quite like the Fulghum quote.

Thanks guys! (gals?)
posted by polly_dactyl at 10:27 AM on May 11, 2011

"Dandelion Oh, hardy flower, disdained as weed, Despised for head of feathery seed, Your unsung virtues rate a ballad, Choice roots for wine, crisp leaves for salad."
-Betty Gay
posted by DisreputableDog at 10:53 AM on May 11, 2011

The Betty Gay quote is close enough for my purposes... thanks!
posted by polly_dactyl at 4:16 PM on May 11, 2011

« Older Help me convince people (esp. ...   |  How can I make a good, long-la... Newer »