Concert lighting question

What machine produces this type of light?

I was at a concert at Club Nokia in Los Angeles this weekend and saw a band with an amazing light show. Here are some pics, I'd like to find out what type of machine created this light (the more specific, the better), how much it might cost, and if anyone knows, how does one control it. (Bonus: I'm wondering if it's possible to freeze some of these patterns for photography purposes.)

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

And some video, for the non-epileptic:
Video 1
Video 2

If this is an industrial sized machine, I'm also wondering if there are any smaller, possibly pro-sumer versions of this machine as well. Thanks!
posted by phaedon to Technology (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Laser projectors?
posted by supercres at 3:36 PM on May 10, 2011

There are many different kinds of laser projectors available across a very wide range of prices. What was it, specifically, that you liked about this particular laser installation?
posted by Mars Saxman at 3:53 PM on May 10, 2011

I'd have to say the broad spectrum of colors and customizability of patterns.
posted by phaedon at 4:02 PM on May 10, 2011

There are several companies that sell a full range of lasers for use in concerts, clubs, etc. that do that effect. Chauvet is the first brand that springs to mind, but I have no idea whether they're any good or not. If you look on sites like Musiciansfriend.com and just search under DJ/Lighting for lasers, you'll find lots of options. They cost anywhere from around $100 to many thousands of dollars.
posted by The World Famous at 4:25 PM on May 10, 2011

« Older Please tell me everything you ...   |  My USB Mic started picking up ... Newer »