Help me avoid my awkward coworker
May 10, 2011 11:47 AM Subscribe
I started a small beer club at work with some of my coworkers. One of them invited a coworker who makes me incredibly uncomfortable. How do I get out of this?
posted by punchtothehead to Human Relations (35 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The coworker ("Weird Coworker") in question has a habit of staring, sitting next to me when there's any opportunity, blushing, asking coworkers about my personal life, etc. At least one other coworker has noticed that he's weird around me, so I don't think I'm being overly sensitive. We don't work in the same area or department.
In any case, I organized a beer club, and one of the invitees invited Weird Coworker. He makes me uncomfortable enough so that I would just not go if he goes, but...I started this club!
* I have not spoken to HR or any other coworkers about his behavior or my discomfort (other than the coworker who noticed it; I responded with something like, "Huh." when he mentioned it.)
* I'm female and youngish.
* It's a small company.
* There are seven people currently in the club.
* The club thing sounds a little weird but there are a few of them here: a running club, a dining club, a theater club, a whiskey and cigars club.
* I said it was okay to invite other people, but that we should try to keep the group small.
- refuse without providing a reason?
- refuse and give a reason?
- allow Weird Coworker to join us, and bow out?
- allow Weird Coworker to join us, and avoid him?
- something else?