I have a social networking account I'm thinking of trying to sell. Is this possible/a good idea?
I use my MetaFilter handle in a lot of places on the interwebs. I've never really given it much thought--I just started using it maybe 12 years ago, owing (no doubt) to an adolescent fixation on a television show that I now kind of regret, but what can you do. Point is, I own this account name on Twitter. Last year, the show in question (sorry for being obtuse, I just don't want this to show up in a Google Alert or whatever--Google my username if you are confused) actually used that Twitter handle as a throwaway joke in an episode. I first learned of this when my (long unused) account suddenly blew up with three hundred follower requests. Every so often, they'll re-air the episode, and the same thing will happen.
As I've said, I don't use this account for anything, and while I toyed with a couple of ideas of what to do with it (use it to advertise competing networks' shows; create a character completely off the rails and see if anyone fell for it; etc), I continued doing nothing. It is now kind of a burden--dismissing follower requests is kind of a hassle I don't want to deal with. At the same time, it seems like this is an account that the network in question might enjoy having, lest they turn their throwaway joke into a marketing opportunity of some sort. (I don't know how/what they would do with it; I think Twitter is kind of ridiculous, cf. the 'unused' part of the account) Thus, this seems like an excellent opportunity for both of us to get what we want. So, my questions, in no particular order:
- Is this something I can sell to the network that airs the show?
- If so, how do I go about starting this conversation with them? I don't see an obvious contact address on their website; do I just email the generic feedback address and ask them to forward it?
- What sort of compensation should I ask for? Is there any precedent for this?
- Am I being a complete idiot by asking this question in an open forum and laying bare my intentions and my lack of real interest in the account? Should I anonymize/delete this question immediately?
- Are there likely to be any other legal/social/moral/whatever hurdles that I'm totally failing to consider? (The answer to this whole question can be 'don't do this, you idiot' and I promise I won't be offended)