How do I hide a computer when I’m not using it? I want to use a PC in the living area of my house but not leave electronics in plain sight.
I’m a computer guy, and like to work on various programming projects. However, I’m also married, and like to spend the evenings with my wife. I’d like to find a way to work on the computer in our living area, but not leave a keyboard, mouse, and monitor in full view all the time.
What I have to work with:
- My budget is about $150.
- We have a small room off of our living room that I think I can use, provided I can hide the setup well. From there, I’d be able to see the TV, and talk to my wife. It currently contains a large work table and a chair.
- My computer setup is a netbook (with wifi), with attached keyboard, mouse, and 15” flat-screen monitor as a second monitor. Unfortunately, I need all these attachments, as programming on just the netbook (or any laptop, for that matter) is not ideal. (Big hands, bad vision.)
- I’m open to some new or used furniture, or perhaps some kind of portable enclosure for the computer.
- I am a procrastinator, so I’d like as foolproof a system as possible. If it takes a bunch of steps to put everything away, I’ll likely end up leaving it out, risking a wifely wrath.
- I can handle power tools, but anything I build from scratch/plans will likely end up as ugly as sin and somehow catch fire. I can handle modifications to professionally made things, though.
- I’d like to be able to see “over” the desk, so I can see the TV, others in the room, etc., without swiveling much. So against-the-wall solutions or a desk with a tall back are not ideal.
My lead candidate at this point is this fold-out desk
, from which I’d try to remove the shelves and folder slots to make room for the PC parts, and drill a hole to add a power strip. However, it’s a bit over my budget, needs to be drilled into the wall, and I’m not 100% sure there’s enough room inside for everything.
My other thought is to get a case, similar to a sewing machine carrying case
, and basically just stuff everything in there, still wired together, and stash when not in use. I’d pull out the netbook, mouse, and keyboard when I want to work. Workable (provided everything fits), but messy.
Any ideas, or improvements to what I’ve come up with thus far?