Where can I move that is near Toronto, but cheaper and better to live?
April 22, 2011 10:55 AM Subscribe
I'm not sure I want to live in Toronto anymore, but I want to stay *near* Toronto. Where can I go?
posted by JoannaC to grab bag (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have lived in Toronto most of my life and overall enjoy the city, but it's quite expensive and lately I have come to realize that I could probably have a very nice---and much cheaper---life elsewhere. Additionally, my parents are buying a condo in Florida and will be gone half the year, so my most compelling reason for staying here is now reduced...
Where to go though? I lived in Kingston during university and liked it there, but I am not sure how Kingston would be as a grown-up. Would it be hard to meet people? To make friends? To meet potential romantic partners?
I am not ready to love immediately, but within the next year I want to consider it. Here are some issues that worry me or that I would like taken into account:
- I would like to be within a 2-3 hour drive of Toronto. If there is a family event, holiday etc. I want to be commutable distance to come home for it.
- I currently do not have a car. I am negotiable on this (I don't have a license, so that will need to be taken care of) but if high car payments are going to eat up any savings I might have from lower rent, that will bother me. I would prefer a place with decent enough public transit and/or walkability that if I do need a car, I at least won't have to rely on it for everything.
- I would like home ownership to be an attainable goal. Toronto prices average $400,000+ and you're looking at 300K even for a condo. Please tell me there is someplace I can do better than that!
- I am currently single and would like to meet someone and settle down. I am not sure if it's better to try and do that here in Toronto and then move, or if there is someplace I can move where this is still a possibility. I am 30something and Jewish fwiw.
- On that last point, some sort of Jewish community would be nice but is not required.
Basically, I want to be able to have a nice, and affordable life somewhere, and still be able to come back to the city on holidays. I want to settle down somewhere and build a life. Any ideas?