Join 3,374 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Pillsbury pie crust ideas
April 21, 2011 8:34 PM   Subscribe

I've got this packet of Pillsbury Pie Crust in my freezer. What are some delicious things you can do with it? There are plenty of recipes out there but I'd like to hear what your favorite is.
posted by storybored to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Caramelize a bunch of onions and arrange them in the bottom of the pie crust. Throw some crumbled goat cheese on top of that. Beat a few eggs with some milk or cream and pour it on top (it shouldn't quite cover all the goat cheese). Sprinkle with sea salt and herbs de provence to taste. Bake at 350 or so until the eggs are nice and set, and then nomnomnom.
posted by Andrhia at 8:40 PM on April 21, 2011

Whaaaa? Make pie, of course.

Savory or sweet. In a tin or as hand pies, pasty-style. Or tiny ones filled with jam.

Make a pandowdy.

Sprinkle with butter, cinnamon, and sugar, roll up, cut into pieces and bake flat. Or pesto ot duxelles or tapenade for savory pinwheels. Or cut squares, spread with something, and roll up for little cigars.

Cut rounds, sprinkle with Parm, bake, and serve with chicken stew. Or make a depression and fill with jam. Or line tiny tart tins with it, blind bake, and fill with citrus curd.
posted by peachfuzz at 8:42 PM on April 21, 2011

I find the flavor and "bite" of a Pillsbury crust better suited for sweet creations than savory ones, however, Andrhia's suggestion sounds heavenly!
posted by missmary6 at 8:59 PM on April 21, 2011

Spinach Quiche, recipe is often on the wrapper.
posted by 2bucksplus at 9:12 PM on April 21, 2011

We'd cut ours into strips, lightly butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and cook. Ta-Da!
posted by Sassyfras at 10:44 PM on April 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

I'm not familiar with the exact product, but I'm assuming it's ready-made shortcrust pastry?

I make 'shortbread' with sweet shortcrust - one thick layer of pastry on a baking tray, sprinkle chocolate chips and/or dried apricots cut up into small cubes and/or shredded coconut and/or nuts thickly, lay another sheet of pastry on top and bake until golden.

Cut into small squares when it cools down.
posted by Catch at 1:46 AM on April 22, 2011

Flour a cutting board
Roll the crust out into a rectangle
Spread melted butter all over the crust
Sprinkle Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, White Sugar and maybe some butter chunks
Roll the whole thing into a long tube
Score the top every inch or so
Bake until golden
Cool and then slice into rounds
posted by banshee at 8:14 AM on April 22, 2011

I lurve quiche. Quiche of all kinds. They're totally customizable; feel free to mess with recipes as they are very forgiving.
posted by NoraReed at 8:59 AM on April 22, 2011

I like savory stuffed things, like empanadas, pasties, or samosas.
posted by vytae at 12:14 PM on April 22, 2011

Paula Deen's Spinach and Bacon Quiche. NOM NOM NOM!
posted by Nerro at 1:21 PM on April 22, 2011

« Older LA Traffic Filter: How long wi...   |  There is a mouse running aroun... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.