Less than a week to spend in South America
April 21, 2011 7:15 PM Subscribe
I have less than a week -- but where? Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, or Buenos Aires?
posted by armage to travel & transportation (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have a maximum of five nights to spend in one or more of these cities in mid-July (I am aware that this is mid-winter in South America). How should I spend my time among them, seeing as how it is my first time to visit South America? My constraints are as follows:
1. I will be flying into Sao Paulo (GRU), arriving at 7 PM on a Sunday.
2. I can fly out of any of the three cities.
3. I don't speak any Portuguese and only speak a bit of Spanish (something I hope to rectify before the trip).
4. I'm not as interested in shopping as I am in partaking of the local cuisine, culture, and architecture.
5. I don't currently have either Brazilian or Argentinian visas, but I will be getting a Brazilian visa at least prior to the trip even if I am just transiting the country (for peace of mind in case something goes awry).
I've read other threads about trips to SP/Rio/BA, but they tend to be by people spending over a week in a single location. Given my time constraints, how should I split (or not split) my stay?