Is The Onion hacked or is it me?

What is "Yaza Kilolardan Kurtularak Girmek İstermisin?" Has The Onion's Facebook sharing section been hacked, or is it my computer?

I noticed a very odd link on The Onion's Facebook sharing section. I have never used Facebook but this section shows what's popular, so I tend to click on links in it.

I won't copy the link because it was so spammy, but the text was, "Yaza Kilolardan Kurtularak Girmek İstermisin?" It had been shared by over 100k people, which is quite high for that section. So I figured it was some parody and clicked. It sent me to a very sketchy site that tried a Javascript alert to keep me from leaving.

It doesn't show up every time but by refreshing I've seen it three times now.

I'm a bit freaked out. Running Firefox 3.6.16 on a Mac OS 10.6.7. I am not running NoScript (which I am currently regretting). I Googled the text and could find no alerts about the site.

Thanks for any help on this.
posted by Jorus to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Hrm, I can't repeat seeing it now by refreshing. Perhaps it was on their end and they caught it.
posted by Jorus at 1:00 PM on April 20, 2011

I'm not sure why you saw it, but the phrase is Turkish and translates to, "Would you like to lose excess weight?"

Sounds like spam to me.
posted by easy, lucky, free at 1:21 PM on April 20, 2011

« Older What are some games that 2 peo...   |  What open source/free software... Newer »