Rene: Tren bloqueado

Train ticket frustration, Level Spain: Have any of you encountered the message "tren bloqueado" or "train blocked" when trying to buy tickets from Renfe? What exactly does it mean and will I ever get a deal on these tickets? Is there anywhere that will sell them?

FWIW the trip is Barcelona-Paris, mid-week, no holidays, less than 60 days away - I can buy tickets after this date and before it but not ON it.

Renfe says blocked; SNCF (France), and even Deutsche Bahn say "no pricing available." Googling in Spanish and English shows me lots of people with the same question, but no real clear answers except in case of impending strike.
posted by whatzit to Travel & Transportation around Admiralty, Hong Kong (4 answers total)

It would help a lot if you would give the date and time of the journey you are interested in.
posted by grouse at 9:53 AM on April 12, 2011

It's a general message not unique to this train, so I didn't think to, but it is May 31 from Barcelona - Franca to Paris - Austerlitz at 21h05.
posted by whatzit at 10:03 AM on April 12, 2011

The Seat61 guy says:
As I write this (7 April 2011), the trainhotel from Paris to Barcelona is temporarily 'closed for sale' on the following dates (meaning it disappears without any explanation from the online booking systems): 2nd May, 22nd-26th May, 29th-31st May, and 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 19t-23rd, 27th-30th June, 1st-30th July. This is because it may have to be diverted or re-timed due to engineering work. It should reappear in online booking systems in due course, when they've finally worked out what they are doing with it.
That said, I could see the train trip on raileurope.com and seemingly purchase it. That doesn't mean that the train is actually running on that day.
posted by cabingirl at 10:39 AM on April 12, 2011 [1 favorite]

Excellently detailed comment, cabingirl. I will keep an eye on it and hope things work out. At least I didn't buy the ticket last week when it was open for purchase!
posted by whatzit at 10:46 AM on April 12, 2011

« Older I feel relief after breaking u...   |  Cowboy Bebop's [amazing] sound... Newer »