Great Minds Riff Alike

Giants of culture and science coinciding. Where can I listen to more of something like this?

I was listening to Science Friday on NPR this afternoon and they had Cormac McCarthy, Werner Herzog, and Lawrence Krauss all talking about how science influenced art.

It was enthralling. I'm a huge fan of both Herzog and McCarthy, and Krauss' book on Feynman is definitely appealing to me. But I was wondering if anyone else could think of something else like this.

Huge names like that, just getting together and riffing on a topic. Something like that has had to occur in the past. And if it did, it has to be on Youtube or somewhere else I can listen to it.

I know about all the TED talks, I'm talking about a group of great minds like that all going off each other and filling an hour or so.
posted by sanka to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

this post reminds me of that Ira Glass anecdote where he freaks out and punches his radio producer in the face for repeatedly every week saying why can they do a hour-long talk show with Stephen Hawking, Martin Scorsese and Bill Gates (the last two names are just equivalent guesses because I can't remember all the actual celebrities he cited, but Hawking was definitely one of them) just talking with each other.

Anyway, you might like BBC 4's In Our Time . Yes, you can click the links and you'll be able to listen even if you're in the US or otherwise outside the UK.
posted by Bwithh at 11:19 PM on April 8, 2011

oops typo in the above - "why can't" not "why can"

Jim Jarmusch's "Coffee & Cigarettes"
posted by rhizome at 11:22 PM on April 8, 2011

Except that Jim Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" will want to make you punch everyone around you in the face because they let you make yourself feel like you had to watch something twatful and pretentious.
posted by Mo Nickels at 6:13 AM on April 9, 2011

City Arts and Lectures does some stuff along those lines, but good luck catching their broadcasts.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 8:03 AM on April 9, 2011

I make Science Friday a priority on my schedule every week. I agree that show was incredible magic and one wonders why this sort of meeting doesn't happen more often. Herzog and McCarthy together drinking coffee in the same room for a chat is like a fantasy and they lived up to their reputations.

That was so good I'll bet it will hatch an idea in the minds of radio producers to try such meetings again.
posted by nogero at 8:58 AM on April 9, 2011

No, that would be "Mindwalk."
posted by rhizome at 1:19 PM on April 9, 2011

Haven't heard it in a while, but its worth checking out Start the Week on BBC Radio 4 (available for a week after its Monday morning broadcast): brings diverse people together, sometimes a few giants.
posted by Gomoryhu at 5:01 AM on April 11, 2011

« Older A few years ago, I heard a seg...   |  My boyfriend recently finalize... Newer »