Why am I so tired?
March 28, 2011 8:16 AM Subscribe
What is wrong with me? Why am I so tired?
posted by anonymous to health & fitness (38 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I am so tired.
First off, yes I saw a doctor. In my city it is nearly impossible to get a PCP. After daily calls to multiple offices for 3 months, I finally got into see one. I told him my symptoms. He did a bunch of blood tests. There was nothing. He said good luck. Before you answer "Find another doctor" please believe me that it is very hard to find one and although I'll keep calling around, it isn't something that is going to help me in the short term.
So, my symptoms, which started about 6-9 months ago:
- I am incredibly tired all the time. I go to bed at 8 or 9pm, wake up a few times during the night to breastfeed, and sleep until 6:30am. I fall asleep breastfeeding my kid (in a dark room), and on the occasion that I try to stay up to leave his bed, I am so exhausted that I cannot force myself to get up. On the very rare occasion that I do get up and leave the room, I am so tired that I can just make it to use the bathroom, get a glass of water, before needing to lay down again.
- When I wake up I need to psych myself up to get out of bed, telling myself "you'll get up, pee, undress, shower, brush teeth..."
- I take a multivitamin, a B vitamin, and fish oil - none of which have helped.
- I have a new fulltime job, a 2 year old, and a parttime job that takes up most of my weekend. Without question I am getting no "relaxation time" but there is no way around that. I am very stressed out right now. (And I don't have any time to exercise given my work schedule, my commute, my child, and my 2nd job.)
- I am breastfeeding my 2 year old, but only at night. I will probably be weaning him somewhat soon, but I haven't yet because I have no energy in the evenings to put him to bed any other way than breastfeeding.
- I have lost ~15 lbs. from my normal weight since reaching my "normal" weight after the birth of my baby. I eat a ton, yet I am thinner than when I was a teenager.
- During the day I am in a bit of a fog.
- I feel constantly dehydrated, despite drinking ~60 oz. of water a day.
- My mother was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last year, so I asked to be tested for that. Everything turned up negative.
As I said, I told all of this to my new PCP. He did some blood test. I got the results in the mail and a phone call saying everything is normal and that I should try to rest/relax.
WTF is wrong with me? I realize that it is entirely likely that I am just stressed out to the max.
And, of course, you are not my doctor.