How do I play my video right-side up?

Android Help: When I transfer a video from my HTC phone to my PC, it plays upside-down. How do I fix this, please? Does it have something to do with how I shot the video? Isn't there a "rotate" button on Windows Media Player?

....Everything I've googled seems to be four years old and is about video problems with Windows Vista or XP (I have Windows 7). This might be blindingly easy, but I need remedial help with most technology. Thanks.
posted by Buffaload to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

How do you hold the phone? On my HTC Desire it assumes you hold it sideways (landscape) with the buttons/base of the phone on the right. If I flip it over (with the base of the phone on the left), the on-screen icons and timestamp stay where they are and don't flip over to match.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 7:15 AM on March 28, 2011

I think I may have shot these two videos (important because they were taken at a family reunion) vertically, what you might consider right-side up if you were talking on the phone.
posted by Buffaload at 7:28 AM on March 28, 2011

Windows Media Player doesn't have a rotate option, but Windows Movie Maker does, and I think it ships stock on all Windows machines these days. It's one of the filter effects, and you can just plug the whole movie into it and rotate it 180 degrees.
posted by mhoye at 7:32 AM on March 28, 2011

Windows Movie Maker is a free download from the Microsoft site if you don't have it already.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 7:42 AM on March 28, 2011

Your phone probably has a rotation sensor and expects you to shoot video horizontally (wider than taller).

When you tilt the phone into portrait, the rotation sensor is falling halfway between one horizontal and the other, and picking the "upside down" one.

Try shooting some test videos holding your phone in all of the four positions and see what the results are.
posted by odinsdream at 8:17 AM on March 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

if you prefer open source...

How to rotate a video 90 degrees (or 180) in VLC
posted by jrishel at 8:46 AM on March 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

Seconding VLC for all your video/audio needs - once you start using it, you'll never use Media Player again.
posted by coolguymichael at 9:20 AM on March 28, 2011

« Older You know how awkward you feel ...   |  How can I take a course in ani... Newer »