The problem is, I googled Google in Google Chrome. I destroyed the internet.
March 23, 2011 7:46 PM Subscribe
Yes, I've tried forcing an unexpected reboot, but I can't access Google, Gmail, or Twitter. Weirdly, Microsoft.com, Hotmail, Facebook, and Bing (and obviously AskMe!) all load with no problem whatsoever. And it's only affecting this computer (the only OS X machine) on the network!
posted by aristan to computers & internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The problem is, I googled Google in Google Chrome. I destroyed the internet. But I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Today, when I got home from work, I wasn't able to access my email, search on google, or view Twitter in browser or via the Twitter app. This is only affecting my computer, which also happens to be the only OS X machine in a mostly Windows house!
I tested in Firefox 4, Chrome 10.0.6, & Safari 5.0.3. Running OS X 10.6.6. In Chrome, I receive the error "Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error." Safari gives me "Safari can’t open the page “http://www.google.com/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.google.com”."
What I've done so far, though not in any particular order:
- Uninstalled new programs (which happened to be Firefox 4)
- changed DNS servers from OpenDNS back to my dsl provider's (Windstream)
- flushed DNS in terminal
- removed all Wacom Tablet drivers because this one guy on the internet swore that was the problem.
- restarted the router and modem
- tested connection on speedtest, no problems found.
- tested connection on pingtest, didn't work (lost all packets).
- ran network utility and ran ping on google.com, no packets lost, all sent and received. Repeated for Yahoo.com, same results. Repeat for Bing.com, lost 1 packet out of 10.
- ran network utility and ran traceroute for google.com, no route to host. Same results for yahoo.com. Repeat for Bing.com and got proper traceroute.
- cleared browsing data in all browsers.
- Rebooted the system several times, even after that one time where all I did was empty the trash.
Apple.com and Amazon.com work sometimes, but sometimes they don't. Google sites (google, gmail, etc), yahoo, and twitter never work. Microsoft and Bing always work.