Stop bragging about tablets and start making products that work consistently

ASUS is nearly two years delinquent in re-branding and re-releasing an existing Sony Optiarc firmware to allow their OEM version of an Optiarc drive to read dual-layer Blu-ray discs under Windows 7. Which persons - preferably executives or others with real authority - can I contact here in the United States to make sure this gets done? Where do I find their contact information? (Bonus points if you have that information already and can share it).

In case it is relevant, the drive in question is a BC-5500s running the 1.C0 ASUS firmware; the 1.E1 firmware posted by ASUS won't flash this drive for myself or other users, and Sony's own native firmware is encrypted to prevent cross-flashing. I've been following developments at CDFreaks about this, and maybe they'll have a custom firmware later this year, but I'd really like to do this the right way and also get my money's worth on this $1500+ notebook.
posted by Inspector.Gadget to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

You basically can't. You can make as much noise as you want, even on the executive level, but if you're under the impression that they simply don't know about the problem, you're probably wrong.

ASUS hasn't done anything about this yet because it isn't worth it to them. If you want to get your money's worth now, insist on a refund and get yourself another drive.
posted by valkyryn at 7:26 AM on March 21, 2011

Good luck to you sir. My experience with asus has always been that they're often the cheapest, but not to expect anything from them once you've bought a piece of hardware. I'd write it off to experience and move on.
posted by Oktober at 7:41 AM on March 21, 2011

I have some measure of hope because this PC is still under warranty. I guess I can always send in the whole thing for a drive replacement, but that seems so unnecessary in terms of cost and time taken. Is that likely to be my only option?
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 7:54 AM on March 21, 2011

that right there. I've never had a good experience with their products. I'd just return it or sell it and move on.
posted by zombieApoc at 8:23 AM on March 21, 2011

1. Complain to customer service.
2. Try to find the CEO's email address and write him a nice email asking why your laptop doesn't have the features your were promised when you bought it.
3. Complain to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, if dual-layer is a required feature for Blu-Ray compliance. (it is for DVD, not sure about Blu-Ray).

Don't actually expect anything to come of this. Is dual layer blu-ray content even available or common?
posted by b1tr0t at 8:54 AM on March 21, 2011

Is dual layer blu-ray content even available or common?

Yup. A growing number of commercial films are released on 50GB dual-layer Blu-ray. Thanks for those suggestions.
posted by Inspector.Gadget at 9:21 AM on March 21, 2011

« Older DCFC fans: How would you accur...   |  Bike Comparison: Need help cho... Newer »