How much for a home healthcare aide?
March 14, 2011 3:19 AM Subscribe
Mom's sick. I don't live in the United States and haven't for sometime. I don't know how stuff works there in terms of health care.
posted by Mutant to Health & Fitness (12 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
My mom had a pretty severe heath scare, which landed her in the hospital for a period. She's back home now but very weak and would benefit from someone to help her.
I haven't lived in The United States since 1997 so I don't really know how things work in practical terms. She's limited in terms of income (Social Security, no pension, no savings but I match her Social Security payment every month) and so is being treated by what I understand is a combination of Medicare / Medicaid. I've got a few questions:
- Family is light on the ground there (Western New York) and she's expressed a desire for someone to help her for part of the day. What would be a reasonable rate for this service? I don't mind paying but would rather not be exploited. Earlier I called one service in the region (found online) and they asked me lots of questions that seemed to be focused on my ability to pay, and did little to resolve my query ("how much for the nurse?").
- Also timing - can we purchase this service on a daily basis, or do they typically require monthly / annual contracts?
- How do we transition this service to being funded by Medicare / Medicaid? I simply don't know how to proceed here in spite of googling about.
- What is likely to be the timing for the government bodies to pick this up? I'd like to understand this before engaging in the home healthcare aide service.
- Is relative liquidity likely to have an impact? Specifically, is it conceivable Medicare / Medicaid could bill me for some or all of the services I'm hoping they'll provide?
- Does anyone have a rec for a home health aide / visiting nurse service in Western New York?
Another other points I should be aware of? I'm hoping to get up there personally however I'm very highly leveraged timewise at the present and simply can't, but will get there in the next month or so.
Thanks for any help!