Am I worth it?

I would like to be a male model for clothing designers who sell their clothes and accessories on Etsy. How could I do that?
posted by parmanparman to Work & Money (24 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Are you sad enough?

Ask around. I don't know if Etsy has a find-local-sellers type of thing, but if they do, look there and send out emails or track them down on facebook. My roommate sells jewelry on Etsy and just had a huge photoshoot last week for both Etsy and a couple of contests she's entering her work into. Everyone involved, from hair to makeup to models to photographer, was either a friend or a friend of a friend.
posted by phunniemee at 10:02 AM on March 12, 2011 [3 favorites]

Yeah, this would definitely be an adventure. Better as it would not be full time, a side gig mostly. I put my picture on my profile so if you think I couldn't do it, just tell me. Is there a place a designer go to talk about selling their products on Etsy? I'm also really good at finding markets, if that helps.
posted by parmanparman at 10:16 AM on March 12, 2011

I guess you could make a portfolio and contact individual sellers directly.

If you also launched a site of your own, etsymalemodel.com or something, than you could give linkbacks to anyone that used you, which might make it more worth it for people.

You have to overcome the cost of shipping the product to you to model. Also, it would mean an additional delay in getting the product posted.
posted by dripdripdrop at 10:27 AM on March 12, 2011

I would fins a photographer in your area who also wants the same thing (I'd hit up Craigslist as a start) because a model is nothing without someone to shoot them.

Otherwise search Etsy for stuff that you think would look better on you than the photos they have and shoot the lister a message and see if they're interested.
posted by Ookseer at 10:29 AM on March 12, 2011

I shop on etsy a fair bit and peruse the male clothes just for interest. One thing I've noticed about all models on etsy (male or female) is a certain too thin waif-ness. I think you need that. Looking at your photo (hope you don't mind but you did suggest). You look too "normal" sized to be an etsy model. (NOT THIN-IST).
posted by kanata at 10:31 AM on March 12, 2011

Depending on your area, larger metropolitan area with plenty of crafters & artisans, you may be able to find sellers willing to pay models actual money. However, everyone I know, including myself, that has sold via Etsy used friends instead of paying models. I occasionally traded or gifted them with stuff I had made but never paid for it.
posted by tar0tgr1 at 10:35 AM on March 12, 2011

I get the impression most designers photograph their own clothes. I guess I could network with designers or buy a camera. I'm 204 pounds and six feet tall. I don't exactly do waifish. I think I'll probably get to 165 and see how it works to make that lifestyle sustainable.
posted by parmanparman at 10:39 AM on March 12, 2011

Tar0tgr1, I hear that. I dated clothing designer a few years ago. I will work for a fashion designer, but I will never date another one.
posted by parmanparman at 10:46 AM on March 12, 2011

Based on the FPP that's linked in the first comment, it does not seem that being thinner than average is a requirement for being a male Etsy model.
posted by John Cohen at 10:54 AM on March 12, 2011

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree on the thin thing too. Yeah, some of them are thin but a lot of them are just regular sized. It seems like the male models on Etsy have one or more of the following attributes:

1. Waif thin
2. Tattoos
3. Hipster haircut
4. Scruffy beard
5. Hot/good looking

I don't know if he has any tattoos but parmanparman has 4 and 5 down. I actually think he'd make a great Etsy model.
posted by MaryDellamorte at 12:53 PM on March 12, 2011 [2 favorites]

6. Knows someone who has an Etsy store.
posted by milk white peacock at 12:55 PM on March 12, 2011 [2 favorites]

are you hoping to be paid? i would expect most just have friends do it. well, whatever is more than most but just shy of all. i only ask because you said you were interested in "part time" ... in most cases, things are one of a kind, so won't even keep the stuff you model.

if you're interested in just doing it for kicks or to build a portfolio, see if you can search etsy for local sellers (or look at the locations of clothes you like) and send them a message. "hey, your clothes are awesome and original. i'm a big fan. i'm also a local fan; i'm hoping to get a portfolio together and am an eager model, if you're interested." if they get back to you, send a picture that's tasteful and clothed. full face, full body - not a tightly cropped pic of you in profile.

you can also do this for nearby design schools.

i couldn't tell by your picture - but you don't really seem emo enough. maybe work on that - the weight loss might follow. unless the hipsters are sad because they're hungry. chicken and the egg, i guess.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 1:08 PM on March 12, 2011

I wouldn't have to be paid. I would settle for a nice hat
posted by parmanparman at 1:33 PM on March 12, 2011 [4 favorites]

make friends with people who sell things on etsy. all the people i know who do etsy-esque things use their friends as models.
posted by Ginkgo at 1:43 PM on March 12, 2011

i'm just saying it's possible you won't even get a nice hat - or even a shit one. one-of-a-kind objects aren't going to be given to the models ... or else they won't have it to put on etsy to sell anymore.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 1:44 PM on March 12, 2011

and yeah i would say you are more likely to get paid in beer or baked goods, or just gratitude. but that's nice too.
posted by Ginkgo at 1:46 PM on March 12, 2011

If an Etsy shop can't/won't afford a photographer the chances are very slim they'll be interested in offering a model much, if any compensation. Everyone has friends who look good enough and who will model for less than a nice hat they spent 5 hours knitting.

It's worth a try, but don't expect people to flock to your services. However it might be a decent way to build up a portfolio for yourself and meet a bunch of creative people in your area.
posted by Ookseer at 2:03 PM on March 12, 2011

Yeah, I too think this would be a long shot. I'll look around in England. Fashion designers don't do baked goods, in my experience, Gingko.
posted by parmanparman at 4:32 PM on March 12, 2011

You know what? Just because people usually *have* used friends, etc., doesn't mean they always must. If you can be flexible in scheduling, look like a real person, and show up on time, you're going to be an attractive resource to a lot of people. You might even offer to look happy if they would like. Check out a book on modeling or something. Why the heck not? Just let people know you're available, and that for a small consideration you'll behave like a professional and they won't have to worry about you oversleeping or something.l
posted by amtho at 5:27 PM on March 12, 2011

I run an etsy shop with my sister. We got contacted by a professional model who wanted to model our jewelry. She was going to do it for free -- she wanted to build her portfolio -- but I gave her a bracelet and a couple rings to thank her.

I think it you go into it without expecting anything, most people will find a way to thank you.

Make sure you'll be able to use the photos for your portfolio -- you never know, you might be able to get a regular gig as an etsy model!
posted by Pademelon at 7:08 AM on March 13, 2011

Thanks, everyone for all the great answers. I think I'll just have to keep running a company and practicing an agency for the time being.
posted by parmanparman at 11:38 AM on March 13, 2011

I was a professional male model who occasionally does gigs from time to time, here is what I would recommend:

1) I am 6'1 and wait 175 pounds and this is heavy for modeling, Ideally 160-165 is what gets me paid the most and I am just a tiny bit taller than you.

2) Build a portfolio. Here in the U.S. We have modelmayhem and other similar websites. Put one or two pictures there and network with photographers.

3) Build the etsy profile selling your services, initially you will have to do it for free, but after enough times you can start charging.

4) Even if you dont get paid I would do it for the networking and for the opportunity to meet other creative, good looking people, also if I ever needed to have a photographer for a wedding or something I have tons and tons of people willing to aid me at that end.
posted by The1andonly at 5:45 AM on March 14, 2011

You'd be better off trying Folksy, as there are more UK sellers there. Given the small profit margins on selling crafts I wouldn't use this as a possible retirement plan. Do you want to do it for the money or because you fancy doing a bit of modelling and it looks like something fun to do?

Why not try posting on the forums on Etsy to see if anyone needs a model? That seems the best way to start.
posted by mippy at 10:44 AM on March 14, 2011

Also, if the modelling itself appeals to you, you could look into work as a life model.
posted by mippy at 10:45 AM on March 14, 2011

« Older Is there such a thing as a tin...   |  Drummers: I need recommendatio... Newer »