Best Customer Service Credit Card
March 5, 2011 2:16 PM Subscribe
I want a credit card with sterling customer service.
posted by massysett to Work & Money (28 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I want a credit card with superb customer service.
I do not care about "rewards" or "cash back" or any of that nonsense. I want a place that treats its customers right, not one that is trying to buy them off using merchants' money.
What I'd like:
* DO answer the phone right away when I call. I do not care what hemisphere the phone agent is in, but I would like her to have a voice I can easily understand.
* DO employ people with some intelligence that are empowered to solve problems.
* DO be polite.
* DO have online systems with high reliability, so that my browser is not spinning its wheels when I try to log in and so that I'm not getting "system unavailable, please try again later" messages in the middle of a workday.
* DO NOT try to sell me crap when I call. I do not want "credit protector" or other useless garbage. And if you do try to sell me crap, at least respect me when I say "no." (You can tell I've had issues with that.)
* DO NOT make asinine mistakes when dealing with fraud. (One issuer had an automated system call me to say "are these charges fraudulent?" Yeah, I said. The charges still showed up on my bill!)
I don't care about "rewards" and am willing to pay an annual fee up to $100. I would prefer Visa or Mastercard as these have the widest acceptance, but if you have great experiences with Amex or Discover that might be worth knowing because I am so tired of crappy customer service. I haven't had great experiences with credit unions and a coworker is suing the one I can currently join, but advice you can post on credit union credit cards might be useful to other folks. I'm not military so USAA or Navy Federal doesn't do me much good.
Oh, and I currently use credit cards due to the convenience when purchasing online and when traveling, because it makes it slightly easier to track expenditures, and because I don't want to use debit because then fraud will come straight out of my checking account. If anyone has suggestions on how I can keep the convenience and just ditch these cards, that would be welcome too.
So what credit card do you have that has great customer service?