What can I do with dry-cured pork tenderloin?

What to do with a 1.5 lbs piece of lomo embuchado?

My brother brought me a hunk of dry-cured pork tenderloin called lomo embuchado from Madrid. It looks interesting, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I don't have access to a meat slicer, so finely sliced pieces of it on bread is out. I could just eat it as-is, tapas-style, but that seems rather dull. Are there any dishes I could incorporate this into?
posted by ar0n to Food & Drink (3 answers total)

Call a butcher and see if they'll slice it for you.
posted by rhizome at 7:20 PM on March 2, 2011

If you put it in the freezer for 30 min, you can slice it real thin with a sharp knife. I would put it on salad. Wrap it around dates filled with a soft strong cheese. Make it into a bruschetta with pesto. Use it in a rice stuffing for for tomatoes, mushrooms or bell peppers. Think of it as a salting ingredient for something you could realistically skip the salt on.
posted by I love you more when I eat paint chips at 8:49 PM on March 2, 2011

Slice it thin with a knife and eat it. If your brother knew what he was doing then what you have there is a work of genius and it would be a crime to adulterate it in any way. The Spanish are brilliant at cured pork. Just slice it and eat it and judge for yourself whether it's "rather dull". What I would do is make 20-30 thin slices and eat it alongside some good olives and a Spanish red wine.
posted by creasy boy at 12:43 AM on March 3, 2011

« Older Wikipedia makes its entire con...   |  What questions do I need to as... Newer »