Skip

Is an ice creme cone in the category of a pastry: that is, is it like a cookie or is it more like a cracker or is it neither?
February 27, 2011 4:46 PM   Subscribe

Is an ice creme cone in the category of a pastry: that is, is it like a cookie or is it more like a cracker or is it neither?
posted by Tziv to Food & Drink (11 answers total)

Do you mean the cone itself or the cone plus the actual ice cream?
posted by hattifattener at 4:51 PM on February 27, 2011

This is all semantics, of course. But it's a pastry. A cookie is generally baked flat and is made of flour, eggs, sugar and some kind of fat -- usually butter. A cracker, also backed flat, is usually considered savory, not sweet.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 4:57 PM on February 27, 2011

Waffle cone is like pastry. Pretzel cone is savory.
posted by fixedgear at 4:58 PM on February 27, 2011

A cone can be baked flat and then you roll it when it's fresh out of the oven. (Most waffle cones are actually made like that.) Cake cones are baked in molds (commercially, not at home.) I think they're more like cookies, actually.
posted by Ideefixe at 4:59 PM on February 27, 2011

Pretzel cone? My life for this.
posted by Night_owl at 4:59 PM on February 27, 2011 [4 favorites]

Cone is unleavened like a cracker, sweet like a cookie.
posted by mollymayhem at 5:19 PM on February 27, 2011

I'm going with cookie, since pizzelles are considered cookies, and they're really similar. Also, wikipedia says it's a pastry.
posted by Logic Sheep at 5:38 PM on February 27, 2011 [3 favorites]

Sugar cones and waffle cones are close cousins to pizelles and krumkake - they are all essentially sugar cookies made from a very thin batter enriched with cream or butter and cooked very crisp. A cake cone is more or less the same thing, with less fat, cooked in a mold.

I think by any practical definition they are all cookies.
posted by peachfuzz at 5:42 PM on February 27, 2011 [1 favorite]

Waffle cones can safely go in the waffle category. There is no point in waffling over whether they are cookies or crackers.

Those molded cones are in the same category as those packing peanuts that dissolve in water.
posted by yohko at 7:26 PM on February 27, 2011 [3 favorites]

Wafer is a cookie.
posted by sunshinesky at 6:38 AM on February 28, 2011

Cookies, or "petit four sec" if you want to get technical about it.
posted by nenequesadilla at 3:48 PM on February 28, 2011

« Older I've been searching for these ...   |  Better-looking scatterplot usi... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.