I have (camera) baggage

Please help me find the perfect camera bag for my Nikon D40. The ideal solution would be something with enough room for both photo and personal stuff, so I don't have to carry my purse. Or, are "camera bags" a dumb idea if I already have a somewhat-padded messenger bag?

Currently, I carry the basic Nikon gadget bag. It's okay, but it has drawbacks: (a) I have to carry another bag for phone/wallet/keys/meds/etc; (b) it has to be packed perfectly to close without struggle; and (c) the Nikon label and bag shape make it obvious that I'm carrying a cheap bag full of camera stuff.

I'd like a bag that has room for wallet, keys, and iPhone. Enough room for a book and/or a water bottle pocket would be awesome, but not necessary. As far as camera equipment goes, this is what I carry now:

• Nikon D40 body with kit lens attached (18-55mm) & uncomfortable neck strap
  • 55-200mm lens
  • GorillaPod SLR tripod (this makes the Nikon bag hard to close)
  • Glif tripod mount for iPhone
  • a couple of lens filters and a cleaning cloth

• Is there anything else I should be carrying? Should I be carrying less? As far as bags, I like the look of the Crumpler messenger-style bags, but I also have a Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag (similar to this) that would definitely hold everything if the Single-Use Camera Bag is a marketing idea. Ideal budget: under $150US.
    posted by catlet to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (17 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

I have a Crumpler bag for my DSLR and I love the hell out of it - though sometimes I wish I'd bought the next size up to be able to also fit a book into the bag. As is, I have space for my wallet, phone, keys, and a few other small things, but no book.
    posted by sonika at 7:22 AM on February 27, 2011 [1 favorite]

I have something like this, which accommodates body (with lens attached), another two lenses, some random gear as well as a laptop. It's not as stylish as the bag you prefer, but I found that after trekking around with all that stuff slung over one shoulder really started to affect my back.
    posted by nevercalm at 7:31 AM on February 27, 2011

catlet: Or, are "camera bags" a dumb idea if I already have a somewhat-padded messenger bag?

There are two schools of thought on this. My husband is in the "special bags for special things" camp but I am in the "throw the special thing into an intelligently safe bag and get on with your life" camp. This is not because I don't value nice things, but because when nice things require special ugly bags and accessories, I find them cumbersome, annoying and decidedly less nice. When the special ugly bag is $150, I am even less interested.

My feeling is that if the camera has a hard body and a lens cap, it will be fine. I would just use the messenger bag. If you're really worried about it, you can house the camera in the Timbuk2 in the padded body bag it ships with, or cut a foam panel to segregate and protect it in the messenger bag.
    posted by DarlingBri at 7:34 AM on February 27, 2011

Should I be carrying less?

How often do you need the tripods? I have the same camera and wouldn't bother carrying a tripod around with me; there just aren't that many times when I need one and can't improvise.
    posted by The corpse in the library at 7:45 AM on February 27, 2011

Camera bags are not a dumb idea in theory. In practise, they're often clunky, ugly things. People are encouraged to buy enormous great hulking things that can fit a dozen lenses and more accessories than you'll ever need.

People, being prepared is one thing, but making photography into a chore is another. Find a way to take the minimum of stuff (camera with lens, maybe one other small lens, a spare battery and a spare card) with you without making it into A Thing. Less is more. Remove obstacles.

For me, the solution was to get a tiny Crumpler shoulder bag (A Ben's Pizza Medium for my 400D, and a Jimmy Bo (either 400 or 500) for my 5D.) This sufficed like woah for most personal stuff. I also have a Serious Camera Bag (a Crumpler Daily) for photo jobs, but it's overkill for personal stuff.

Since you already carry a bag, that exact idea might not be a solution. I would agree that finding a way to combine it with your current Stuff is a good idea.
    posted by Magnakai at 7:59 AM on February 27, 2011

Seconding Crumpler - there's a bag to suit everyone in their range.
    posted by kenchie at 8:09 AM on February 27, 2011

Crumpler bags are way too overstructured to be multipurpose, I find. I had a roll-o-notes and it really only fit my laptop, and it was huge.

I just found an old zip up pouch and put my camera in that. My backpack is Eagle Creek and has padding at the back. I remove the lens and put it next to the body when in the bag. All fine for the last two years.
    posted by wingless_angel at 8:21 AM on February 27, 2011

Have you seen the Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Bags?

People seem to love them. I hacked my own camera bag using a regular Timbuk2 medium messenger bag and some camera bag inserts I bought online. It has worked great for me.
    posted by SoulOnIce at 9:08 AM on February 27, 2011

I've owned a ton of bags, but I've found what I consider to be the perfect bag - finally! I also picked up the larger version for days when I need to carry a ton of gear. Both are great.
    posted by blaneyphoto at 9:53 AM on February 27, 2011

Epiphanie: "Liberating stylish women from the man bag." - really lovely, sturdy & functional bags with room for you camera gear + everything else.
    posted by judith at 10:12 AM on February 27, 2011

The Ginger and Belle here are very protective and look amazing.
    posted by Mertonian at 10:33 AM on February 27, 2011

I have the Lowepro SlingShot 100AW. It's functional, not necessarily stylish. I like that it can be used as a backpack or over the shoulder, and that the main compartment can be customized. It's smallish; not nearly as big as a full-sized backpack so it's relatively un-clunky.

I used to carry my Gorrillapod in it along with my Nikon D5000 and 3 lenses, and still had room for personal items if needed. I no longer carry the Gorillapod, since found I really didn't use it enough. (The D5000 does an excellent job at high ISOs and 2 of my lenses have vibration reduction.)

As to whether camera bags are really needed, I guess if you will be carrying a bag anyway, you may as well get one that works for your camera. However, I often carry my my camera with the cholder strap and no case, and don't really worry about it.
    posted by The Deej at 11:02 AM on February 27, 2011

I've been enjoying this Swiss Gear bag lately when in the city (when hiking, I'd rather have a backpack). I generally carry an SLR body, 2 lenses, cleaning stiff and no tripod (for better or worse--occasionally I wish I had one). I have used traditional camera bags but enjoy that this doesn't scream "photographer" and lets me stick some of my other "purse" things in too.
    posted by mkuhnell at 11:54 AM on February 27, 2011

I didn't have a special bag until my backpack broke and it was easier for me to find a decent camera backpack than a regular one in the place where I live. I am usually out hiking with several lenses, and the actual camera bag is better for this, but if I just had one lens on all the time, I would rather just use a regular bag.

I would suggest sticking with your regular bag for now and then get a special bag if your needs change.
    posted by snofoam at 12:28 PM on February 27, 2011

I have an ONA Roma camera insert as my daily camera bag. If I need to carry my whole kit, it goes in an Emera tote.
    posted by evoque at 2:24 PM on February 27, 2011

I actually have switched to using my camera bag exclusively for packing my stuff to get it to where I'm going, and then, when I leave the car or hotel to actually use my camera, I toss it on and put a lens or two in my jacket or vest pocket. It helps that I've got a Sun Sniper strap that I actually wear under my jacket (for a minor degree of weather protection, as well as to promote some degree whatsoever of subtlety in my 7D-carrying). I've rarely wanted more than a second lens while out in the field, and I don't even use zooms.

Free yourself from overpreparation. Learn to make what you bring with you work. I recommend considering reworking your perception of a camera bag the way I did: it's a padded storage thing, not a way to carry it around while you're using it.
    posted by DoctorFedora at 8:45 PM on February 27, 2011

Thank you all for your answers! I got my hands on a few Crumplers and LowePro bags this weekend, and pored over the sites suggested here; there are certainly some GORGEOUS bags out there, but out of my price range. I ended up following the suggestions to think carefully about what I'm carrying and find a way to make my camera an everyday friend rather than something that lives in a special bag used at special times.

To that end, I got a LowePro Toploader Zoom 45 padded case, which holds my D40/kit lens/strap snugly and has pockets for cleaning cloth, a filter or two, and extra memory cards. This is small and padded enough to toss into whatever bag I'm carrying for everyday shooting. For more explicit photography outings, I picked up a Sherpani Flora Minor extra-small messenger bag, which is lightly padded, and has both sufficient room/pockets for my Stuff and an internal water bottle sleeve that holds my 75-200mm lens and hood perfectly. I'll use my old Timbuk2 messenger when I also need to carry a laptop.
    posted by catlet at 8:01 AM on March 1, 2011

« Older If there are "poetry gene...   |  I'm trying to interrupt a stan... Newer »