The new MacBookPros just came out, and just in time, as I have encountered an issue with my iPhone 3GS (constantly disconnects from the 3G network) that, obnoxiously, seems to require me to upgrade my
(a June '04 12" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz, OS 10.4.11).* My question is whether, as a long-term investment, it makes more sense to buy the 2.7ghz 13" MBP vs. the $300 cheaper 2.3ghz.
There have been questions
like this in the past
, but my query concerns the latest revisions and has a slightly different angle.
As evidenced by the fact I'm still basically happy with a 6.5 year old laptop, I'm not a power user-- web, academic papers, the occasional conversion of a movie for the iPhone (I want a MacBookPro vs. a MacBook because I have firewire-only peripherals). I'd prefer to wait and make sure the new models don't have some major flaw, or even for the new version of OSX, but it seems like I don't have a choice any longer. Unlike this Asker
, however, I don't really want to deal with the hassle of re-selling my laptop annually-- at some point I came under the impression that the most cost-effective strategy for computer purchases was to buy the fastest processor and largest hard drive you could afford and use them until they were completely obsolete. Therefore, my initial instinct is to aim for another laptop that will still be viable 6.5 years later.
Is this a reasonable purchase strategy in this day and age? With an original price of $1899, my G4 has cost me approximately $300/year. Obviously it's not possible to predict the future, but would the extra 300mhz have a reasonable chance of getting me an extra year of usability from a 2011 MBP and thus be worth the $300 extra?
*The bonus iPhone issue is that I can't try to fix the problem by "restoring" the iPhone because I can't do this without updating to iOS 4.2/iTunes to v10 which I can't do because of the old OS. I can't extract the SHSH files with TinyUmbrella
and try to restore by reverting to iOS 4.0.1, because of the old OS, and it doesn't even matter whether it's a hardware vs a software problem with the phone because I couldn't update a $49 replacement 3GS to iOS 4.0.2... because of the old OS. If there's some solution I'm overlooking here (other than installing OS10.5 on the G4, which doesn't seem to be worth the $120 it would cost on Ebay and would slow down my machine even further), I'm all ears.